View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 I am not an education major 
All-star
All-star

I had to start one more thread so I thought I might as well confess my dark secret. I'm not actually an education major :shock:

I'm making up my own major--individually designed, as we call it--through the Interdisciplinary Studies department. My concentration has to do with educational philosophy, looking at education as a social institution with cultural and political implications. This is one of the classes I chose to include in my concentration (rightly so, I believe).

Sometimes it's been strange that I can't immediately relate to the topics of conversation that concern other education classes or background knowledge on the state of North Carolina's public schools that most of you seem already to have. I do plan on teaching in public school once I graduate from Appalachian, but since I won't be certified I'm planning instead on applying to a need-based urban/rural teaching program, where I get sent somewhere and earn my certification in an alternative manner. Eventually I want to go back to school and teach at the university level.

Despite feeling like an oddball at times, I've learned an enormous amount from this class and from all of you. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I have to say that I'm really glad and excited for the students you'll have and for NC schools in general. I've found myself spreading words of praise for education majors this semester, and it's because I've gained a lot of respect for you and I think you're all pretty cool. So...I guess I just wanted to say thanks for showing that to me 8)

I hope revealing this information does not lead to me being shunned on Hope Day...I'm bringing the ice! Iceman.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Doug, I really admire your dedication to your interests. I wish I had more time to pursue some classes that I found interesting, but the old graduation clock is ticking faster and faster, and to be honest I'm out of money. But I think that you pursuing your interests is really awesome and I hope that you have gotten what you wanted out of class.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am glad you took a walk in our shoes for a semester and what a great class to attend. I have experienced the ways ofthe IDS major for two years previous to this one being in Watauga College and it gives me comfort to have an IDS major walk in mine. I am glad you are telling good things about us because many times I feel like there are many assumptions made of the campus at large by IDS. This may be reactionary, but it is a good step forward having shared some insight with each other. Thank you for being in this class with us.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]