View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 privacy issues for VT students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was watching some TV last night and found yet more coverage on the VT shootings. There was a student on who talked about how the media dealt with the incident. Apparently, the students feel that they can't mourn properly with all of the cameras in their face, which I completely understand. As someone on the outside, the media is the only way I can keep up with what's going on there, but at what point should we say let these students have their privacy? When they go back to school tomorrow, will they be able to do it without cameras in their face?

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:58 am
All-star
All-star

I was thinking the same thing. I understand where they are coming from. Something else that really bothered me was that Cho sent his videos and pics to NBC or wherever hoping they would get posted all over the place and he got just what he wanted. I don't understand the need to show those to the world. What do the mourning families and friends feel like having to listen to him and see him everywhere?

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with both of you girls. At some point the media coverage becomes entirely too invasive, and can really be detrimental to the students' recovery process. They can't begin to find closure if the wound is constantly reopened through the newspapers, internet, and TV.

in addition, I feel like disturbed kids who see the "celebrity status" mass murderers receive from the media only encourages them to commit horrific acts to ensure that their own name lives on in infamy. I feel like every time something like this happens it only ups the ante for the next mass murder. First it was 8, then 13, then 32, what will it take for the next student to commit the new"largest mass murder in history"???

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with you Allison, the media puts these murderers in the spotlight and makes them seem less terrible that they really are. I was watching Fox Charlotte last night and they decided it would be a good idea to show a Korean church service and to interview some of the younger members. The kids they interviewed said that they did not want the public to generalize that all Koreans were as terrible as the screw up at VT, but to me, by running this segment on the local news it would do nothing but assist people's prejudice againt Koreans. Thoughts?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]