View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Practical Life Skills 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you guys think that we should teach our children in school more practical skills like how to do their taxes, how to balance a checkbook, how to cook, how to change the oil in your car? I think that these skills would be very beneficial, but it seems like there is no time for these in the modern curriculum.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This semester I go to William Lenoir Middle School for an internship -- I am with a 7th math teacher -- On top of teaching them the nc curriculum -- she has been teaching the balance a checkbook -- every week they have to pay bills with writing out checks -- they picked their own cars, apartment, and made their own grocey lists -- this way every child is paying a different amount for everythings ... some of the students in the class are even 'married' -- they really seem to enjoy this activity -- the students are learning alot about managing a checkbook and money.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Many of these skills could be taught in a single class titled something like "general life skills". I wouldn't mind teaching something like that after school. I know there were and still are many things that fall into that category of which I know little about. The one danger of offering a class like that is it developing into a class for the low income students.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that these are great things to learn! We so often complain about the fact that we learn things that we'll "never use in real life." Why not incorporate the things that we do actually use on a daily basis. Maybe there's a way to incorporate some of these things into the curriculum. Maybe these topics could be offered in high school in an elective type of course.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]