View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 First Integrated Prom at Georgia Highschool 
All-star
All-star

I saw this article online and thought it was crazy... I'm so surprised that school officials have allowed sutdents to have segregated proms for so long. I find it interesting that it was the sutdents, not the administrators or faculty that stepped in and encouraged students to go to the prom together. I know Georgia's in the South, but really.... why did this take so long? I wonder what the culture at this school is like, that teachers and students didn't think this was an issue until recently.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/04/22 ... index.html

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:42 pm
All-star
All-star

There's the south and then there's the "deep south." Well, maybe not really...but really. Mississippi remained almost its own independent country for a hundred years after the civil war, and at the time of the civil rights movement there were places in the state where local police & government were populated by people who openly acknowledged their membership in the KKK, etc.

This town--Ashburn, GA--seems to be a "deep south" kind of place. The population is very small, there isn't much of a local economy to speak of, and it's miles away from the nearest "large" city (Macon). It's not hard to imagine it being a little pocket of past feelings, almost like a time capsule, where segregation is still explicitly "okay" to some extent. (*also, the civil rights movement is only 40 years old...our parents lived through it, but it's so easy to forget how recently it all went down) We've already seen that segregation still exists systemically--this high school just didn't have a problem saying it outright! At least, until now.

Even though they still held separate parties after the official school prom, how cool is it that the idea for an integrated prom came from the students themselves? Hooray for young people...boo-ya, old people.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]