View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 "I wish I had learned _____" 
All-star
All-star

Just curious...I remember having a cool conversation with some friends a while back about what we wish we had been taught in high school. At the time, we were talking specifically about what we wish our teachers would have told us about college--what to expect, how it would be different, etc.

It occurs to me, though, that this might be an interesting topic for reflection. So many "important" lessons just don't have a place in a school curriculum...

I know that what matters most to me--more than academic disciplines, subjects, or pieces of information--is people. I like people a whole lot and I love helping them and seeing that they're doing well. Students are people, too...aren't they?...

What do you wish you'd learned earlier in life, that you might have been better off knowing? Could it have been "taught" in school? How might you incorporate significant life lessons into the classes you'll teach?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a difficult question Doug. I have one thing in particular that I with I have learned early on in my life and that is how to fix things. I live in an old house and things are always breaking, but I don't have the knowledge to fix them. What I'm really getting at it knowing some basic carpentry, a small knowledge about electricity, and maybe even a little bit about masonry. These are all very simple, concrete things I wish I learn/knew today, but I think they are important. Everybody needs a good handyman.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]