View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Eurhythmics. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I find myself needing a little movement ever day to keep my mind alert. On days full of classes, a bike ride or some stretches does wonders for my motivation. I have always wanted out school systems to employ some kind of movement period. This period would be like the lunch period and I think it could do a lot for the motivation of the students. If this wasn't possible I think i would apply it inside my classroom whenever the students seemed down. Do any of you agree with me, or have any other ideas related to his?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:57 am
All-star
All-star

I find that I learn best after 30-45 minutes of dancing to the Talking Heads, or 25-35 minutes of singing along to old-time and bluegrass (especially Bill Monroe or the Stanley brothers).

I've never been able to study while listening to music, though, regardless of whether it's Mozart or not.

Like Gayle said, even rearranging the desks in a classroom can be enough of a "vent" for bored minds and/or restless muscles to improve a class's overall level of attention afterwards. I used to have my discussion group for a Watauga class do stretches before every discussion and it seemed to work really well. Everybody would go ahead and open up, start talking to each other, get into an interactive mode, look a little silly, and feel better physically by the time we were done.

Why do we get rid of P.E. after 9th grade, anyway? Does anybody know why that's the cut-off point for mandatory physical activity in school?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree, i think that moving around and doing something energizing really helps people learn. For one it keeps the atmosphere lighter, I think that students have more fun when they get to be active. It also stimulates the brain. I cant even count how many times I have been close to sleep or asleep in class. Guess you can figure out how much I learned those days.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree that just moving around can be a great way to release some stress and wake everyone up. Its so hard to sit for an hour and a half and listen to a teacher talk and not be able to move around or talk.

One thing I have always thought could help is adding a few extra minutes between classes. Now that there is block scheduling (in most places) there are only 4 classes but they are so long and at my high school we only got 6 minutes between classes which is just enough time to get from one to the other. What if students were given 15 minutes or so whether they make the days longer or pull a little time from each class. This would at least give them a chance to socialize and refresh after sitting down and listening for an hour and a half.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess the only real problem of giving students more time between classes is misbehavior. The extra time would just give students more opportunity to smoke or get in fights and other things of that nature. I have a notion that the students would not really understand why they had more time between classes and would not use the time appropriately.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]