View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Solutions Anybody? 
All-star
All-star

I am starting a new thread that concentrates on the question of what this country could do to turn this situation(s) around. As future administrators, I thought we could maybe discuss some solutions in class. Most people who are not involved in education might think that only $$$ is the solution to solve this issue. I disagree. It will take money, but could this country have some serious dialogue about an important issue that will determine our future standing in world. Thanks.

Chris

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Chris, the country will never turn around unless the government allows more teachers to develop the curriculum and the practices that go on in our classes. We are given mandates and measures, but very little that really matters when teaching students who have come to us without the needed basics.

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:24 am
All-star
All-star

Teachers must be empowered to improve education. All the open dialogue, open minds, and money in the world will not by itself fix education. It will take teacher input, trust, and empowerment to truly do what is best for child. Mandates and Bias Testing makes great news stories and binder material but never show what children learn and know. Testing such a narrow realm of intelligence and personality characteristics is an injustice to most children and a cultural shift in awareness and values will have to take place before real change will occur.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Anger will be what it takes to turn these things around. It took a lot of people saying I ain't gonna take it no more! during the civil rights era. It will take money. The idea that money will not help is just an excuse. Of course money is not the only answer. There are going to have to be people who stand up and say this is ridiculous!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I know a few educators in various NC counties who had a voice in developing the new Social Studies curriculum. I am not sure how diverse this group was at the time. The directors even allowed some of us rural folks to write test items for the US History test. I am sure that the teacher from the the inner cities were few in number.

Why did the government have to step in with NCLB?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Money is a major issue. The idea of money extends into state testing. Everyday, our admin is concerned with our teaching to a test, not to the student. We are judged upon our scores as whether or not we are effective in the classroom. Even bonuses are ties to these exams. Should our money be tied to one day in a student's life?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:03 pm
All-star
All-star

If I understand what I was reading Kozol writes that it will take 1) educators and those with a vested interest in education taking to the streets and 2) the average American (especially those whe experienced the early successes of integration) to rally political action.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 pm
All-star
All-star

Heath, just think about those Buses. No, not really. You're right I think Kozol calls for political action and advocacy on the part of educators everywhere.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 am
All-star
All-star

John, you are right. Ultimately, educators and parents are going to have to step up and take action if anything is to change. Taking action can be anything from forming interest groups, gathering support, and even becoming involved in the political system (and many others) .

We all fail to see why/how politicians make policies regarding education, though most of them have never stepped into a school, let alone a classroom. We, as citizens have some control of our representation. But until we can help uninformed or misinformed citizens understand that NCLB sounds great in theory, but in reality is forcing rote memorization as a way to cope with pushing the test and that teachers are being judged based on their test scores...we aren't going to get anywhere.

We need to get citizens more active in politics, help them decifer the statutes, and get them involved in the schools. Until they step into a school, they will not be able to conceptualize what we have been seeing all along. WE need to be more proactive, rather than reactive.

Any thoughts?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:49 am
All-star
All-star

Kozol also did refer to school systems in Milwaulkee and Louisville that have had some success with integration through transfers and school choice programs across district lines; a kind of blurring of the lines between inner-city and suburban schools. He even acknowledged that the school choice provision of NCLB may have had moderate success IF "choice" really meant choice. I question if integration was the sole intent of the Milwaulkee and Louisville programs....

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm
All-star
All-star

To turn the ship around, it will take all the stakeholders--community (both world, regional, state and national), parents, teachers, students and principals--with a vision for the future, modeling integrity-------this is sounding like the ISLLC standards--Do I dare go there? No, it will take a PRJOECT! It will take a global prject of stakeholders who have the student first at heart with a mind on the future of where we all will be meetings the needs of those around us.

Where can this be found? Do you think it's happeing anywhere? I wish I knew more about schools of success. I would really like to take a field trip to some of the finest schools who are making things happen! We know books. We know where we are. We need to look at those who are making great things happen. Go see Freedom Writers. Mrs. G teaches now what she learned in school. Great changes just might come through students who have seen that great teachers care.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:29 am
All-star
All-star

If you read page 62 in Kozol, you will see that he describes perfectly what the solution looks like for all students-including green grass for playgrounds-but his last statement shows the truth that this country is so reluctant to admit. We avoid looking at the children in these schools because their plight is not ours. We say "How sad." We go right ahead with our lives as though nothing can be done to change this horrible injustice. Our nation has the means to make a difference, but we lack the motivation. We react the same way that we do when we flip through the channels and see a movie star in a foreign country helping little children who are starving. We quickly hit the clicker and separate ourselves from their pain. (':cry:')
Crying or Very sad

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree Jackie. It is not real to us or anyone else. Kozol is trying to make it real, but I am not sure just how bad it really is without walking down the halls of those schools. Most of us would not even dare to work in a school like that.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]