View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Resegregation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I never thought about it, but now that I have read Kozol's book, I realize that my own son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren are participating in the resegregation of Memphis, TN. My grandchildren attend a private school which has some diversity in ethnic background but is primarily white. In Memphis the public schools, city and county, are primarily black. If white families (black, or Hispanic families for that matter) can afford to, they send their children to private schools. Of course, they are just following the trend in that city. And it seems so inappropriate because that is where MLK, Jr. was assassinated.

My son grew up in a home (in Newton, NC) where we were not racially prejudiced, and he had some very good black friends. But now that he is married he lives in a different environment; he has gone backward in time; his wife and her family are very racially biased. My son and daughter-in-law just built a new house and moved farther out of Memphis into a rural area in the county next to Shelby County, TN (the county that contains the city of Memphis). They moved out of $250,000 + house in a neighborhood in Shelby County because so many black and Hispanic families were living there. The children are still driven to their school in Memphis.

But, even in my school in Catawba County, don't our students self-segregate? If you walk into the cafeteria, the students are all seated in their own little ethnic groups, with some, but not much, crossover. The club I sponsor, the International Club, has a few African-American, Hispanic, and white kids, but most are Hmong.

Do they self-segregate because this is learned behavior? Probably so. They have learned it from their parents and grandparents. Can we stop it?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I'm really looking forward to discussing this in class tonight. I have heard countless negative comments about race relations in this country, but our reading this week drove home the fact that segregation is real and still exists today. I don't think situations like your son's are uncommon in many areas of the country.
See you tonight.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe any of us would find segregation sneaking back into our society. The same games of the past find their way back into society. You would think we would learn from the past but inevitably we regress back to vouchers and charter school to separate us from “people that do not look like meâ€

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 am
All-star
All-star

I think our personal choice of segragation revolves around comfort zones. I know that when I was a classroom teacher, we even "discriminated against" other grade level teachers when it came to sitting together at faculty meetings, going out to lunch, etc. We didn't do this openly, it just evolved gradually.

I have taught in several different school districts including one that was close to 50/50 white and minority, one that was 99% African American and finally in Alexander County where it is approx. 90% white. What i usually find is that kids tend to spend the majority of time with other kids who either live closest to them, go to church with them or who they feel they have the most in common with.(comfortable) Unfortunately we as a society feel the same way which causes us to live near people that are like us, go to church with people who are like us, etc. Can we change society by changing school systems...or does it need to happen the other way around?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:17 am
All-star
All-star

Can we change society by changing school systems...or does it need to happen the other way around?

That is an interesting question that requires much analysis. I think that it would be easier to consider changing within school districts because we have more control/authority in that setting, as opposed to society in general.
If you were able to somehow try this in an educational setting, over time you may see a small change in the immediate educational community (ie parents, families, teachers, staff, etc) and could take on a ripple effect. The time frame for this, however, would be generational.

It is hard (or maybe just scary) to imagine, though, where we as a society will be in the future in regards to this dilemna?!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:56 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Leigh Ann, it would be an interesting approach to see what would happen, however, I had a history teacher that his favorite and most common phrase in class was that "history repeats itself folks"... As we have all heard this statement time and time again, as he related it to practically every time era, he was right in some respect. I think it would be ashame to allow society to return to the days of segregation, allowing history to repeat itself, we have come so far in some avenues, and only baby steps in others.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Becky, your children are doing only what every other parent in America want to do. They want to do what they think is best for their children. I don't know many parents who would dare to use their children to make a political or social point by sending their children to a school that they perceive as inadequate or even dangerous. I think that brings up a whole separate ethical issue. Do we not have an obligation to see that our own children receive the best education possible? Or, do we have an equal obligation to see that other children receive the best education possible?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 pm
All-star
All-star

That's right, John... once again, you are asking us to move out of our "comfort zone". I dare say it will never happen!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:14 am
All-star
All-star

I think John made the best point. Most parents are trying to what they think is best for their child. However for some parents it is a social game they play with the Smith's next door. Most of the time I do not hear parents complain about what their child is learning or not learning it is about prom or Friday nights football game or a battle of he said she said.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Rebecca Secrest wrote:
But, even in my school in Catawba County, don't our students self-segregate? If you walk into the cafeteria, the students are all seated in their own little ethnic groups, with some, but not much, crossover. The club I sponsor, the International Club, has a few African-American, Hispanic, and white kids, but most are Hmong.

Do they self-segregate because this is learned behavior? Probably so. They have learned it from their parents and grandparents. Can we stop it?

Becky,
i see the same thing at our school when the kids get the opportunity they typically segregate themselves (particularly in the hallways and lunchroom). Then they make the choice to participate in a particular class or activity because it is socially acceptable. I've noticed in my honors and AP classes I have fewer minority students and when I look at my college prep classes they seemed to have disproportinate number of minority students. I've even heard the students enforce this segregation by saying "you are just trying to be white" by being in that "smart class" which breaks my heart that somewhere along the way some kids have associated particular attributes or activities as being "white" or "black". I think that some of the behavior is taught or learned and then somewhere in our education system it may have been reinforced. It will become a difficult thing to change if it is being taught ouside of school to any degree.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:57 am
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with students wanting to be with those who are most like themselves. This is probable part of the natural way of things. Man had always organized himself into tribes and groups.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? Is it for security,socialization or rebellion? As educator, we must assist students by making it possible for group interactions. Social Clubs seeking involvement from other should ask the "why" question. Things are changing in America and the world. Are we ready for the changes? Are we willing to help the change occur?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:32 pm
All-star
All-star

i think alot of people don't think of it as true segregation when it comes down to private verses public schools. I think we allow it to happen because we're viewing it more on the social class aspect than race when we think of today's schools.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]