View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tammy's trailor 
All-star
All-star

I would certainly consider Tammy's trailer more accomodating than tenant housing of the Industrial Revolution and the ghettos of the Great Depression, ownership of even her small plot of land would be valuable to the miner in an Appalachian coal camp who worked 80 hour weeks for company pay and owned absolutely nothing but the job they worked. The reality is Tammy's situation is all too true for many children in America, which is terrible for a country with such wealth. The unfortunate truth is that much of our society puts more value on a barrel of oil then helping an impoverished child rise above his circumstance. I mean really we (myself included) bitch about a spike in gas prices because it is may cost us more to drive to Starbucks while Tammy is walking 10 miles to scrub a toilet for minimum wage. Tammy probably asked herself if this was her best every day she made that 2 1/2 hour walk to work and then asked it again as she made the 2 1/2 hour walk back home.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Amy Hord wrote:
Amy,
Another important choice is that of having children at the right time. As it appeared in the video, Tammy was not ready for those children. Birth control comes free at the health department. I feel that this should be an important part of our education today. If Tammy had taken the time to get herself together before bringing those three children into the world who knows what she could be doing.

Amy if only the babies having babies would see what grief and heartache they could cause not only to their child but their own lives by having children when they are ill prepared and immature.
Some of the issues we as educators have to deal with would become less prominent. How many times a day in school do you think, how did this child get to be this way? (of course praying in the back of your mind that you will be able to touch them in some way) So i agree birthcontrol and abstinence should be parts of our education system.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 pm
All-star
All-star

We as taxpayers are paying for illegal immigration(getting social services in some states) and for babies having babies. When will the American public start fussing about these issues.

Ask yourself this? Do you want government (schools) teaching your kids about sex? Communities should offer parenting classes.? What do you all think?

Political Thought:
I think that American people are tired of politicians making promises just to get elected. Let's see some results on those promises.

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:55 pm
All-star
All-star

That is a tough question Chris, a generation ago I think we could always rely on parents teaching their children these things, and when they failed the church or another extended family of sorts would fill the void. I think this was probably the best way, but unfortunately the communities are not doing this and schools have been left to pick up the pieces. Ironically I don't think the American public will ever fuss about this because ultimately we are responsible for this. The community is made up of the public and when the community does not do it's part, it really is the public not doing it's part. We have a 14 year pregnant student at my school right now and every day she leaves school and goes to a home with absolutely no support for her situation. The only support she gets is by her teachers at school. I certainly don't think that this should be a teachers burden, but at the same time when no one else provides her with her needs someone has to fill the void; she has to be given an opportunity to overcome.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:33 am
All-star
All-star

Some one needs to come up with some kind of pratical approach to prevent teenage pregnancy. We can only hope the era of "Abstinence-Just say no" will pass and someone with common sense will realize something more needs to be done.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

John et al, I must share what a friend of mine did to his teenage daughter. His daughter basically had gone completely wild as some are likely to do. He took matters into his own hands, and since she was under age, took her to the doctor and asked for the Norplant birth control injection. Since she was under age and was purposely engaging in unprotected sex as a rebellion the dad felt justified. Needless to say his forcefulness in handling this situation was unpopular. His daughter has now successfully completed her college education and has been working in law firm for two years. Is she still mad at him?? No, in fact she takes every opportunity available to share her story and thank her father for his highhanded intervention. What do you think about this common sense approach?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, it can be about choice, but what about exposure and expectations. As a child from a low to no income family, I feel my exposure to a different way of life made all the difference. Also, as the youngest member of the family, I was expected to "Do Better". For the most part, other members of the family were smarter and far more athletic, but they did not have the same teacher nor opportunities. Their teachers were not concern with their lives after their class. To these teachers, working in a factory, going to the military or farming would be good enough. Students are diamonds in the rough, we just need to bring out the shine.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Stephanie, I admire his approach greatly. I think common sense goes a long way.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:50 pm
All-star
All-star

The clip of Tammy's Trailor was shown at a joint high school staff development meeting in Burke County last school year. Every teacher in the auditorium, and I dare every teacher period, knows a story similar to Tammy's. We can picture them clear as day and see their kids walk into our classrooms. Regardless of how they got into that situation, and regardless of the choices of the parents, we must still teach the kids. The parents send us the best kids that they've got. We must find a way to reach them and teach them.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:54 pm
All-star
All-star

Forgive me for resurrecting Tammy's Trailer, but it plays right into Ehrenreich's book Nickeled and Dimed. Who do you think in Tammy’s family would appreciate Barbara’s view on minimum wage and the labor force in America?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2