View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Scary Thought: Seeds of heresy 
All-star
All-star

"But history teaches us...that every good idea contains the seeds of its own heresy...much of what is going on in the name of standards and accountability verges on the heretical," (131).

So, little testing yields laxness bringing Leandro.
The "Heretical Seed" is...loss of educational time in preparing for tests?

There has to be a balance. The balance is "Not every test is valuable, therefore we have 'Gateway" years?

I don't see tests going away. The Feds back it and raise the stakes with NCLB. Do we remember that community leaders brought forth the testing idea?

I do like how some teachers celebrate test days as opportunities to "strut your stuff" and tell-em what you know!

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Kathryn, I agree that tests will not go away entirely, but I think once the system gets tired of pouring money into the idea, testing will be modified and changed.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:26 pm
All-star
All-star

For now, they are here and we have to live with them. Though most educators bash testing, it is important to make those testing days as positive as they can be-I like the idea of the show them what you know...WE have to be careful to put up a good front regarding testing, so the students will take it seriously. Though if they (younger students) only knew...

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't like tests either, however that's life. How many employers in Kernersville will ask their new applicants to take a multiple choice test in order to land the job? I know that some jobs require a test as such but kids need to know how to think and be able to express themselves.

Just imagine if the SLLA test was MC in order to get our MSA degree.

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Unfortunately education in America is all about tests and in many ways always has been. IQ tests to SATs.... As an administrator the important thing is to still teach children to productive citizens and make achievement on the tests. It is essential to understand the dynamics of the test and how to be successful in a testing environment and at the same time still teach the children what he/she needs.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm
All-star
All-star

Testing is a reality of education. I do feel having some accountability is an important part of the teaching profession. Although, the current accountability system in place has gaps and inadequecies. As I have said, I believe in high expectations but I'm not sure that expecting 100% of students to be on grade level will ever be an achievable task. A good attitude to have toward testing is to set children up so that they can do their best and celebrate the progress and growth demonstrated. Focus on growth because that shows achievement for that particular student.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

Post RE:
Heath Belcher wrote:
Unfortunately education in America is all about tests and in many ways always has been. IQ tests to SATs.....

Heath, I agree education has become a series of tests that determine a child's future, and as educators it is our job to see them through it as successfully as possible. But, I hate what lesson some of our students are learning through this focus on testing... where will some of our "low performers" be if they are unable to break through the testing barrier.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Unfortunately, those low level performers are likely to end up living next door to Tammy.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:25 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Leigh Anne that we have to keep testing positive for our kids and it is a reality we have to live with but if we are unwilling to speak out for changes I believe the testing (sacred cow) will only grow and destroy more young children before they are given a fighting chance. We all know not all children test the same and it is not a fair representation of what they know or more importantly comprehend.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

With our current system of testing we do not have true accountability. Testing students at the end of the year without some kind of pretest does not truly show that students have learned. It also ignores the fact that some grow from level ones to level twos. It is based on the idea that what students really need to know and be able to do can be placed on a multiple choice scantron sheet. Yes, testing is a reality. I think we can support the child and still see testing as the state of North Carolina does it as morally wrong.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:00 pm
All-star
All-star

John, I disagree on one level. The previous year’s EOG serves as the pretest since curricula are supposedly spiraling. Even though our school fell from a School of Distinction at 89.9% proficient in 2004-2005 to a School of Progress at 77.1% in 2005-2006, we made highest growth in our county with a change ratio of 1.77. We are proud of our high growth status because it shows that we are making progress. We do celebrate the level 1s becoming level 2s and etc. Of course we once again did not make AYP, but we are going in the right direction. Do I believe that this shows the true measure of what these students know? Absolutely not, but they are becoming better test takers. Until our educational system changes the method in which they believe teachers and students should show their proficiency (never doubt these are assessments for teachers as well) we better teach great test taking strategies. Maybe somewhere along the way, the students will learn something that will serve them later.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:02 pm
All-star
All-star

The current testing system does have its flaws, but as many of you said, it is here to stay and we better fall in line. I think the key to success on the test is going to be success in the class. Couple your love of kids and your love of teaching with practical test taking strategies and you will see your kids succeed. Since I can say this in a forum, there is a higher being who watches over those who trust Him and I think He will show the testing gods that they are wrong!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not think the current testing system will always be there. While I acknowledge that we have to play the testing game now, I will never accept a system of testing and accountability that is so fatally flawed. Yes I do the hoop jumping while I need to, but I will also continue to point out its flaws. I do not think it gives people any idea what students really need to know. So what that students become good test takers. That should do them a great deal of good when they are seeking that job after graduation.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]