View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 90-90-90 schools 
All-star
All-star

I was reading and came across some information about 90-90-90 schools. 90% minority, 90% free/reduced lunch, and 90% on/above grade level.

I know there are several in our state and area...Is anyone familiar with this? or might you work in a school such as this? I would like to learn more.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Sounds amazing..... I too would like to know more.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes... there is (or was) one in Caldwell County. An elementary school that is known as a technology school. I don't know all of the history but a teacher from this school is in our Alexander Cohort. I don't think it has kept the title this past year with the new math formula. If you would like more information, I'm sure Jessica would be glad to give you more details.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, there have been two elem schools in this area-West Lenoir School of Technology and Valmead school. It has been a while for Valmead, and am not sure about West Lenoir...I guess I am curious about those schools that have a history of this recognition. It is amazing to do, but keeping the status, as we all know, can be the most difficult.

Thanks Rosanna! I will check into their school. Does anyone know any others? I would like to research several in the area, if possible.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Keeping the status is difficult because we all know that students and student abilities change from year to year.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 pm
All-star
All-star

That's exactly why numbers like these are rediculous. The public has no idea of the little battles that teachers win everyday for their kids. All they see is a once a year ABC recognition or an all or nothing AYP status. I would love for politicians and other professionals to be held accountable the way schools are.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree Neil, and that is why some of us never leave the building. I know that the little rewards of that light bulb coming on or the success on a painting after such a struggle seem to keep coming back, day after day after day.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:22 am
All-star
All-star

Neil I like the idea of winning those little battles. I know it feels good when you can help keeping that one student in school or helping that one student figure out that one little concept they have struggled so hard on. That kind of information never make a recognition in test data.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

These everyday "battles" as you call them are a large part of the classroom experience. When you take on the role of assistant principal. I will tell you that these "battles" increase in number and often broaden out to include parents. Yet the satisfaction of getting through to a student is not less. I had a student who was misbehaving on the bus. I called the parent and told her that her child would be removed from the bus for 10 days. The mother came in the next day and with her child sitting there we were able to make the child see that her actions were the problem and how this was going to create problems for a parent who was going to have difficulty getting the child to school.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:54 pm
All-star
All-star

REASONS FOR SCHOOL'S SUCCESS In the late summer of 2003, a few weeks into his first year as principal of Gainesville Elementary School in Georgia, Shawn Arevalo McCollough identified 125 pupils who were lagging a grade or two behind in reading and math. Most were poor and nonwhite. More precisely, reports Samuel G. Freedman, most of these children were new immigrants from Mexico whose parents had been drawn to this small city by the exhausting but ample jobs in its chicken-processing plants. Mr. McCollough decreed that the 125 pupils should stay for an extra three hours of class each weekday and seven hours on Saturday, creating the equivalent of an eight-day school week. Under his leadership, 89 percent of Gainesville Elementary's students passed the state English-language arts test and 94 percent passed the math test. As a so-called 90-90-90 school -- 90 percent nonwhite, 90 percent poor, 90 percent meeting standards. Mr. McCollough uses standardized tests to guide curriculum and hold teachers (and himself) publicly accountable. Every nine weeks, pupils in all five Gainesville elementary schools take tests that measure their knowledge of the various components of Georgia's statewide curriculum. By analyzing the results, principals and teachers select the next round of lessons to address the weak points. Phonics and math drills figure prominently in the lessons. All the test results are posted in school hallways and on the district website -- not just by school or by grade level but by the individual teacher's name.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/educa ... ation.html

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Wow, sounds like they are doing some right. Why haven't we heard more about these school? I too would like to know more about 90-90-90.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:35 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]