View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 In Defense of Tests to Determine Possible College Placement 
All-star
All-star

What is wrong with having a test to determine if a child has the ability to attend college? Not all children have the abilities necessary to succeed in college. It is time for parents to realize that there child may not have the ability to complete college. Perhaps a low score on the SAT will be what it takes for these parents to realize their child is not college material. The idea that "you can be what ever you want to be" is a bunch of pigslop anyway. America is a land of opportunity, but you must learn to live within your limits.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:17 pm
All-star
All-star

John, you sound angry. This is obviously a touchy area with you. I on the other hand feel that one test does not indicate the ability to succeed in college. If a person is a great test-taker, he or she can fool the system. I know from experience that a good score is merely one indicator; the student must have self-discipline that will motivate him or her to get out of bed and go across campus at 7:30 in the morning when it is cold and momma is not there yelling "Come on, you're going to be late for school." The student also has to have a sense of independence and self-confidence that will enable him or her to go to class or study when his/her peers say, "Let's party!" Bottom line of course, the student has to have the knowledge base for success in academics. No, a test score that says you're great is not enough!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:28 pm
All-star
All-star

From a person that personally hates taking tests, I agree with you Jackie! I know a lot of students who are great kids, both intellectually and personally, but simply do not test well. I know that colleges look at all avenues of a student's high school career, but I do not agree with the proposed or understood "cut off" scores that universities use with students regarding their SATs. To me, it almost serves as one of those "hidden curriculums" that we have discussed with Dr Jenkins; that if you don't do well on the SAT, then you will not do well in college. Bullcrap!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

John, I just love it when you sound angry about something. I know you're just doing it to get a reaction. You're too much like my husband--trying to push our buttons. I do agree with you that some students just don't belong in college, and the tests are one way to let them know that. I just hate it that a test can be so crushing. I think we should first try to gently steer them in some other direction and show them their other options and opportunities. Please don't tell anyone that the bitchy-witchy Mrs. Secrest has a softer side.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Honestly, I don't believe any of that testing blather either. If a college wants to know whether a kid got what it takes to succeed there, just ask his teachers. Not one, but as many as you can. I do not think tests tell you everything, but there are those who do. I just wanted to see if anyone would let that kind of thinking pass.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Not a chance in this cohort John. I think we are all on the same page when it comes to testing.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 pm
All-star
All-star

The testing issue ... well we all know these tests that are the barrier between some students going to college have hidden agendas. The history of the SAT in the Big Test shows the "secrets" to the test and the implications they may have. Even going back the the biases we talked about in Olson's class.. they are there without anyone if even trying to truely fix the problems.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Boy, I am glad to know you were just being John. You have a good point. Tests are so important because we let them be the end all for admission into many parts of life. How many of your schools have a"word of the day" or an SAT prep class, or a math problem of the day? We fall into the trap of fueling the importance of the test by our focus on preparing the kids to do well.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Jackie, there's absolutely no way I would place that much stock in a test. I cringe every time some one starts using test labels to describe students. I know its reality right now, but that does not mean I have to like it.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:02 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]