View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Racism, will it ever end? 
All-star
All-star

The Ghost of the Bell Curves Past, wow isn't it amazing how the color of a man's skin dictates his intellect. I don't think so! Gobineau without a doubt had a great mind, but somewhere along the line his self-esteem had to be very low. Maybe like Hitler (Jewish ancestry) tried to eliminate Jewish people or J. Edgar Hoover(possible African - American ancestry) hatred of Blacks, Gobineau wanted to discredit people of color because he understood the intellect and wonderful works of African civilization prior to the populating of Europe. This article shows racism of yesterday is very similar to racism of today, discredit those you fear the most. Will it ever end? Will there ever be a time when we simply embrace the differences of others? Will statements like "He must be part black if he can run and jump that fast" or " He must have some white in him, just listen to how well he speaks." Is intelligence and athleticism really based on race? Or maybe, just maybe since we all share a common "gene pool" there is greatness in us all.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

When we share, strive, work, and live together working through life together, then we will begin to appreciate one another as we should. When we consider the other first and more important than ourselves, when we look to the good that we can do together, then we all will be better off.

As long as we compare and look for differences then that is what we will see.

Look for what we can do together, then we can reach for the vision...the Dream.

I like the line in Test: "...supposed to look after the education of as many...as possible" (172). What can be done with that ideology? Wouldn't you like to see that happen for real in our lifetime!

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Billy, I wish everyone could see everyone through the eyes of a child.

My daughter, Allison, is in first grade this year. Last year she never asked me about differences in the skin colors of the kids within her class. I was amazed and yet glad. This year she has started to ask questions like, "Mommy, Pajai speaks a different language when she gets home. Can we do that too?" or "Mommy, how did Ryan's skin turn so dark? When will mine turn dark?" She sees it all as the norm and in her childish wonderment in trying to figure it all out - not to differentiate everyone in her class, but figure out how to be like all of them.

If we could all just turn off the "different" button in our brains and simply accept each other, then what a different world it would be.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I see more people in my classes staying at one anothers' homes for slumber parties, etc. than I ever considered possible. I would not dare to set up homogeneous groups in my classes because I know full well that there would be trouble.

With teaching Hispanic, African-American and White students of equal proportions in one class, I am hearing English-speaking students attempting a Spanish of sorts. I am seeing my Hispanics exemplify great study habits to others in the class. It's a cool thing to see!

It's such a unique class, I'm trying to think of a special way to commemorate the end of the year with them. They had no money to buy yearbooks. They will have no momento for their last year in middle school. What can I do?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 pm
All-star
All-star

What about creating your own yearbook for them...taking pics of all your kids and class activity photos and compile a few pages for them...even take pics of some teachers or others that were special to them...and have them write a little note to them...just a thought

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:26 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]