View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Benchmark Testing-4th grade Math? 
All-star
All-star

Our county has just started Benchmark testing and we noticed suprisingly low scores across the board on the 4th grade math test. Those same students last year performed well on the third grade math. Yes, it is a different grade and different COS, but we are thinking there is something fishy going on, as the entire county is seeing a difference...Could the state be changing the grading scale at the end of the year to have the scores align with third and fifth grades????Who knows?

If your county is using benchmark testing, did your county notice significantly lower 4th grade math scores?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm
All-star
All-star

So much depends on who wrote your bench mark questions and whether or not they were aligned with the curriculum being taught. Teachers need to know what is on the bench mark so they know what to address before the test. Remember that it is important to start with the end in mind. What do you want the children to know at the bench mark time? What do you need to do as a teacher to help them learn the material? This is not teaching to the test, but the teaching must be aligned with the test and the test must be based on the skills or knowledge you want children to master.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Benchmarking probably helps raise test scores, but I just hate to see even more time given to the Testing Gods. Oh! The sacrifice these deities require!

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 am
All-star
All-star

We also participate in Benchmark testing and Jackie is right on the money. Who wrote your benchmark questions and did they adhere to the county pacing guide? Or more importantly, is your school and your county using the same pacing guide? Our school uses a Benchmark test that covers the entire SCOS; therefore, at the midyear our students should be around the 50% mark. Is this the best way? I don't think so and that is why we are now using ClassScape as our method of assessment.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:07 am
All-star
All-star

If teachers follow their curriculum maps in our county then students should be prepared for their benchmark tests. We have trouble getting students to take these tests seriously. If they don't take them seriously then how can the results be reliable?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Stephanie, Can you tell me more about ClassScape? What is it and where can I find out more about it?

LA

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 am
All-star
All-star

Classscape is an online assessment tool that is aligned with the NCSCOS. It is the result of a partnership between DPI and NCSU. Teachers in our system have been trained to use classscape. We're just now scratching the surface of what we can do with this thing. Here's the link:

http://classscape.ncsu.edu/

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks, Neil. I will look into this over the weekend...may have more questions later!

LA

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 pm
All-star
All-star

John,
Benchmark testing I believe is a good thing if it is used wisely. Good bench mark testing is short and focused. Good benchmark testing will give the teacher and student feedback on what needs to be reinforced. The problem now is that we test so much that students do not take it serious and the results are meaningless.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm
All-star
All-star

Is a tool developed by NCSU to help teachers with formative assessments or as I like to say (diagnostic/prescriptive) in order to evaluate the effectiveness of a particular instructional strategy in order to target and improve instruction. The link is http://classscape.ncsu.edu/
Its best quality is that if all teachers are teaching the same goals and objectives wouldn't it make sense to assess all the students with the same assessment? Most students have the same type of assessment at the end of the year. I realize that all students are not on the same level, but sometimes, when a teacher teaches a concept and no one seems to get it, this could help spot those situations. If a teacher is very strong in a particular area this could help identify it and collaboration could be the prescription. We need to share our talents not horde them.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Do you guys know when the 7th and 8th grade Lang Arts test will be online with ClassScape. The website said January 15 but we havn't had any luck setting up assessments for these grades. I emailed ClassScape last week but havn't heard back yet....

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:44 pm
All-star
All-star

My county is similar to Neil's. There is a pacing guide that outlines what goals and objectives are to be taught each nine weeks. The benchmark tests are developed to test what has been taught.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:49 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]