View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Real Agenda of NCLB and Testing Accountability 
All-star
All-star

I posted earlier that the agenda of those who promote NCLB and the accountability movement is the promotion of school vouchers and deemphasis of public schools. There are a number of policy institutes who provide what they term "research reports" to lawmakers and policy makers. These are documents that look like professional reports on the surface, but they actually promote this anti-public school educational approach that includes the institution of school vouchers. One such site you should look at for this kind of deceptive approach is http://www.amexp.org which is a web site called the Center of the American Experiment. A cursory glance at the web site seems innocent. It is draped patriotic colors, the whole bit. The problem becomes clearer when you start looking at the articles and papers. These people have an obvious agenda they wish to promote, which is not a problem in itself. Personally I think it is a problem when an organization tries to hide its true motives behind what it calls research. There are literally hundreds of these organizations. As educators and administrators we need to be even more vigilant when we look at research reports and data. We might even need to determine what the true agenda of the organization which is providing that data. I'll send everyone an article from the organization I describe above which clearly shows (I think) that those who promote this accountability and NCLB agenda really have other motives.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:44 am
All-star
All-star

This reminds me of the advocacy group First Class Education. They are promoting the so-called 65% solution to public school funding. From the outside it sounds good but when put under the microscope there is a political agenda that us in public schools should be wary of.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you that there is a policitcal agenda to education. In speaking with a foreign exchange this morning, I was trying to explain the purpose of EOCs. All I could truly come up with was the notion that politicians that never taught school felt like a test would determine who could teach and who could not. We were about differentiation, yet at the end, we make each student take a standardized test, not much differentiation there. Politics + Education = Standardized Tests. No all of us are meant to ace a test, which as teachers we realize.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Anytime I hear the word school vouchers I think about segregation. The only real reason for vouchers is to promote segration. Any website that promotes an agenda on a patriotic approach is usually scary. www.amexp.org definately has an agenda and it will take educating the voters about the real dangers of vouchers. If the school is failing then it needs to be fixed. It makes me think of the Kozol book and now the boy in the Suskind book in a way.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm
All-star
All-star

The story of the boy in the Suskind book, Cedric, is a picture of the experience of so many minorities today. We put them in substandard schools, give them inflated grades and send them off to compete in higher education. We set them up to fail. We do this because of a political agenda that gives us directives for providing equal education without providing us the means to deliver that education.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]