View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sen. Obama 
All-star
All-star

Do you think that the US is ready for an African-American President and First Lady?

It is ironic that we still live within a world that segregates us politically, but stands by a document that states that we are all equal. Do we have some form of apartheid government?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 am
All-star
All-star

At this point, I think we need some new blood, regardless of party. We need some new ideas in each level of government now.

As far as Obama and H. Clinton-I would welcome either or both. It is time that we live up to our words and stop looking to race or sex or other suspect classes to dictate who does what. That goes for any and all things-if someone is a qualifying candidate in any situation, I say go for it!

There will always be, however those people that will have a problem with diversity, especially in the White House. Unfortunatley for them, they have let the world and life pass them by...they are quite behind. And until they can open their minds, they will continue there.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 am
All-star
All-star

There are people among us who would publicly state that they would vote for Obama, but when they enter the booth their bigotry gets the best of them. I hate to hear the pundits talk about this so called "hidden vote". That being said I believe the Senator could be a figure that energizes and inspires enough people to overcome the bigotry. I believe history could be made.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:21 am
All-star
All-star

Apartheid churches? Yes
Apartheid schools? Yes
Apartheid communities? Yes
Apartheid society? Yes

This is why the bonds of separation have been so difficult to break in schools. It seems to me that the races are still separated in nearly every facet of life... Can anyone identify any area where you really see a unification and mixed of races? Sporting events don't count :)

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I would like to see Colin Powell come out of the woodwork and run as an independent. It would be nice to see a candidate no matter what party put EDUCATION as a top priority.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Alisa,
I'm far from decided as to who I will vote for in 2008, but in regards to the reading we were assigned over Dr. King's holiday, I would welcome Sen. Obama in the White House; it would give these children of which Mr. Kozol speaks an amazing sense of pride. "Someone that looks like me is President of the United States!" This might be the very thing that would motivate teachers and children to perform their best and to go to extremes to ensure that children have the kind of educational experience they deserve.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I also would welcome Sen. Obama in the White House. He is a young and energetic man that has not been in office long enough to become corrupt (I hope). He seems to be a person that is not controlled by special interests or corporate lobbyists. I would like to see an African American Male or Female in the White House but it is my belief that we will see a African American Male in the White House before we see a female. I do not think that is right but I know some women that see males as protectors and see the president as the protector of the nation. I do not agree with this assessment because I think a strong female president would be less corruptible and have a stronger social conscience.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 am
All-star
All-star

Heath,
I wonder if church denomination plays a role in apartheid? Maybe it's the number of churches of certain denominations in a locality. I must say that I was certainly shocked and surprised when I first moved to Wilkes County and went church shopping (so to speak). The church I had previously attended was mixed across all lines - racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and economic. I did not find that to be the case here. Stephanie

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Before any of this talk of Sen Obama throwing his hat into the race for the white house, I wanted to see either Hillary Clinton or Condoleezza Rice run as a Vice President candadiate. I think that in a county rooted in deep racism, we might need to take smaller steps. Everyone is this course is clearly educated and knows that a woman or African American, Asian, etc can do the job as President as well as a White male, but there are countless places in this state let alone country where the people could never comprehend this idea. I have heard people say that it is not called the "White House" because of its paint job. Here is hoping that we can get past color and sex to vote for the best man or woman for the job.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:19 am
All-star
All-star

I feel as if they would be more likely to elect Obama if he were a Protestant African American but based on the fact that he is of a Muslim religion and we are in a "somewhat religious" war against a Muslim country, I don't think he will actually be able to build the support he would need at this time. Dont forget..we as a nation are still predominantly Christian and discrimination comes in all forms. I do, however feel that if Colin Powel would have run for the election two terms ago, he would have had as much of a chance as anyone else running.

As far as Hilliary running, I personally feel that the country would accept an African American Male before they LOL)

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 am
All-star
All-star

The end of my last post got cut short...what it actually said was although i felt she did a good job running the country for 8 years (LOL)!!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 am
All-star
All-star

I truly believe that people are just plain people. It is hard for me to understand that we can so easily take stances on everything except on unity. There is always something that breaks the bonds of unity, whether it is race, money, class, or schooling. I would like to see leadership that drives this country to unity, instead of tearing us a part.

I think about myself as a leader; no, you cannot make everyone happy, but you sure can take a stand for what is right, with the attitude that the opinions of others must be taken into consideration. If I proclaim to be something, I must continue to fulfill the duties of my position. I think that what has occured and what does occur in leadership is that we make mistakes and do not own up to them, accept the criticism, and change our actions/minds. Trust is really all that we have; when we loose it, we loose everything.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

There are many inequalities. The trick is to do your best, ask the right questions and work with the powers that be and offer insight and show the passion. Churches, with scriptural quotes, speak of a God who shows no favorites, so shouldn't we do the same? It's not just our Constititution that shows promise.

We HAVE seen good things happen and more is happening still. Time is not over yet. :)

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

leigh ann, looks like you are going to have to get your welcome mat out...

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe the only thing about the senator that is muslim is the sound of his name. He is a christian. Try the link below. This article is obviously written by a conservative author. One of those that if you don't believe as they see fit then you couldn't possibly be a REAL christian. Read at your own risk.
http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/s/ ... 082204.htm

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:41 am
All-star
All-star

Well i think the country is ready for a change whether it be from a male or female or caucasian or african american. I do think that the culture of our society unfortunately will show that at the voting booths, there is still so many entrenched divisions in our country today. Women are only beginning to make headway in the political realm ( i mean think about it they legally got the right to vote after everyone except Native Americans, that being another issue in itself)
I think some ladies have been able to make headway but i would rather see a woman with a stronger backbone get elected such as Rice or Dole someone who could begin to bring back some of the moral structure to our gov't.
I think we need to research all the candidates and look at their platforms to see if they are truely bringing any new ideas to the table or just alot of publicity because of their name or ethnic group.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

vs.
McCain and Guiliuani(sp?)

For 2008?

It's early, but those are my predictions. I will have to look at the candidates' stances on the major issues before I vote.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Shirley Chisolm ran first? Was it 20 years ago? If a generation of time is about 30 years, then our senior voters may be aging out (so to speak) placing our younger generation with more leverage. We still have to overcome the size of the Baby Boomers. They are such a big chunk of our population.

I think we are getting closer.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Chris, if that is the ticket, then I think there's a good chance that Clinton and Obama would win. Im' afraid that many would turn in into ugliness though.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:40 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next