View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 What if there were never a Groton? 
All-star
All-star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep wondering where we would be if there never were a Groton story
for America and democracy. So much of who we are is pivotally-based on Groton?

What I want to know is: Is there another Groton (high shcool) university of diversity out there somewhere?

What if every ethnic group chose to have their own Groton to make their own impact on American society to fit their schemes. Would democracy be better off?

We have schools of science, schools of math, literature, religious schools, music, drama, arts, etc. It looks like we may think it's alright to pull away from others to harness our skills as long as we seek ways to bring us back to the whole. For instance, science schools look for research and development of ideas to help society. Literature seeks for ways to explain who we are and empower us to be ourselves in being a part of the whole. Music has its concerts' drama has its theater, etc.

But what is to be gained by pulling apart on the foundation of ethnicity?

Groton has a hard row to hoe. It still has a service to society... as a think tank of intellectuals? Building democracy? And it will be the voice of the people to balance the power?

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Kathyn, I can honestly say, even though from an ethnic perspective, I fit the bill for Groton, I still would find life miserable there. I think schools like this one can serve only to deepen the divide between races and classes. It was a bit promising when the episcopal priest said that part of his task was to teach toleration. That's great if he is actually able to teach it. I would not be comfortable at such a school. I suppose I am not of that class.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Schools of elitism are not the answer...they are a big part of the problem.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 am
All-star
All-star

As we saw in the video, whether or not our school is diverse or not, students will still break up into cliques. People find strength in numbers and in people who have the same beliefs as them. It does not matter it the cliques are formed by race, interests, religion, they still form.

John,

You might view Groton as a place where you would not like, but you are assuming that you would not find anyone there that would share your beliefs. Not every student at a private school is a rich snob. Part of this course, I belief, is not judge a sterotype. Some students want to go to Groton to gain a great edcuation and follow leaders like FDR. Not just make fun of the poor.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Tim, I agree that when you go to Groton, you get a great education, but when I was in high school, getting a great eduation wasn't priority for me. Socializing was. I had many friends that went off to boarding schools (and I too had the opportunity) such as Groton, and if you asked them today, it wasn't their choice. It was a decision made for them by their parents, and it was all about "keeping up with the Jones....", not necessarily about their education. I am sure that not all students at boarding schools today are of the elite, but I'd have to bet that the majority are. It is about keeping your family name, I grew up too close to the fire on this one to think anyway else.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:56 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]