View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hope 
All-star
All-star

As we have our conversations about students in the classes in our schools, we look at the outside of the reality that these students deal with every day. When you begin reading the book A Hope in the Unseen, think about what is really unseen in the lives of the children in our schools-pain, self-doubt, lack of vision, lack of opportunity. Ask yourself why Lavar has so many names and why he feels lost when he is surrounded by people. Then go to your schools and find a Lavar whom you can guide into the light. They are there, waiting for us to help.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Great advice for us all. If all educators would do this each year, we could make a real difference. I think we forget that our kids really do actually want our help and support even if they don't ask for it or they act like they don't want it.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, we have to take care of the whole child. Our students need a strong support system within their educational environment. Many of them have no support at home. Education cannot reach it's highest potential when the basic needs of our students are not met.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Hope is a beautiful word and schools should have "Hope Givers" as their middle name.

I have a student, J. who had a best friend killed last year by a gang. I had forgotten all about his telling me this at the start of the year. This past month, J. has been truant almost two weeks and his dad has not known where he is. J. is back in school intermittently now. When I started Explorer Internet I see in the news that it's a been a year and the child's murder is unsolved. Now I can better understand what is happening to J. I see that his hope is shaken. Any ideas on how to help?

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Two interesting things I have done to help understand the students with whom I work:

1. On occasion, I ride the school bus in the afternoons. Some of the various character traits I observe in class can be understood easily by viewing the student's world, at least from the outside. There are big differences in attitudes about the world, school and the like depending upon whether the child lives in a million-dollar mansion on the lake or a single-wide trailer with no heat or A/C. But as we have learned, it is our job to educate these students and give them all the best we can offer, regardless of their background or neighborhood. In general, I believe my school does this.

2. We had a discussion at one of our faculty meetings about custody issues and making sure kids are not picked up at school by someone who does not have custody. After this discussion, I went to look at the custody issue list. It was amazing to learn that at Rock Springs, which has a fairly high socioeconomic clientele, there are children who have parents in jail and the like. It makes some of the day-to-day issues you see in the classroom hit home a bit harder, and brings to the fore front the fact that these children deserve our very best educational effort at least as much as everyone else.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:55 pm
All-star
All-star

Just remember, we can help children with the tools we possess. I am sorry I do not buy the argument that an educator has to see to all the needs of every child. What is sad about Cedric is, yes his school could do a better job of providing for his education. Our country, our government, could do a better job of seeing to his other needs. When a federal budget increases money for building weapons and cuts medicaid and health care spending for needy children, lets point the proverbial finger right where it belongs. We can be educators but we can't be social workers.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:21 pm
All-star
All-star

John,
I hear what you are saying about medicaid but it is so frustrating when parents receive benefits through medicaid/welfare and still do not get appropriate health care, food, etc. for the child. Even though all expenses are paid they will not take the time to address those needs. It's a tough situation. This is when the school nurse, social worker, and guidance counselor have to become involved and so there again, the school is taking care of meeting those needs.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you. I guess I just keep going back to the "starfish" parable that has been around for years. I know that I am only one person and there are so many starfish...I may not be able to save them all but I can make a difference for at least one... you know the story. My frustration is in the "how". Although the doctor in "Hope" does not come close to helping Lavar with all of his problems, at least he provides enough for an occassional mall trip or meal off campus. Small obstacles build up to bigger ones over time. His faith is definately his biggest asset. So then you get into Church vs. State issues in how to address this problem. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could as a group develop and test a theory on how we could help these children?

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

Amy, I do not have a problem with schools pointing the way toward the places where these needs can be met. I think the problem occurs when a school tries to become a social worker or doctor. If a child's needs are not being met, social services are required. It is natural for the school to make that referral.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:09 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]