View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Prior KNowledge - We have heard that before 
All-star
All-star

Any time we move from our comfort zone and try out new wings we run the risk of exposing ourselves to public ridicule or at the very least humiliation. I understand Cedric/Lavar wanting to take Pass/Fail classes until he could feel his way through the maze and have his feet firmly planted. On p.190 when Cedric/Lavar realizes that everyone has a hook that we like to call prior knowledge on which to hang information on; he is at a loss on how to acquire this hook. It is put so well when Suskind states that [quote]“By now, he understands that Maura knows what to write on her pad and the sleepers will be able to skim the required readings, all of them guided by some mysterious encoded knowledge of history, economics, and education, of culture and social events, that they picked up in school or at home or God knows where.â€

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I think those hooks are found through experience. Yes, you can guide a child and give them clues to help them survive, but I feel that each and every one of us has to find our own hook through trial and error. Resources through experience help children find their way and whether we realize it or not, I think we do provide children their hooks, some maybe earlier than others.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

What could other hooks be? Would you consider these to be hooks?
1. Scholarships for college are available to diverse groups.
2. SAT and GRE have practice exams readily available on the web.
3. Get involved in extra-curricular activities and show leadership.

Couldn't these be considered hooks to getting into college for some? The kids have already figured out the sports angle. Not enough know to try other ways.

PS Just this week, I have received a letter from Brown University asking for recommendations of students with high academic credentials to receive opportunities to summer camps held at the university. See the website.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I would hope that we all do that. All of our efforts should focus on doing what is necessary to raise these students' achievement levels.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]