View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Eviction for Barbara Jennings 
All-star
All-star

B. Jennings' near eviction was difficult to read. To see Cedric paralized in his room during the event made me think. I have seen piles of possessions at the street and have seen doors taped shut, but I have not seen or felt the sorrow of those evicted.

To have neighbors greedily pilfer through possessions of the oppressed and claim it as their own!--This frightens me.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:25 pm
All-star
All-star

There are actually those who would say that these people's evictions were their own fault. People are poor because they do not have the drive to earn. They just sit around and collect unemployment and welfare.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

The fact that she tried to move her and Cedric to a better neighborhood is a testament to the strength this woman had. Everything she did was for Cedric. Cedric's success is living proof that Barbara accoplished a lot in her life. We all can learn a lot from her.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 am
All-star
All-star

I was moved by this also. I came back to this topic, because I have questioned and wondered just this week how many students we evict each day within our classrooms. How many staff members feel the same rejection that you all talk about with Cedric? Katherine you said,
Quote:
greedily pilfer through possessions of the oppressed and claim it as their own
!; I ask, "Do we do the same thing when we take a child who we know is doing all that they can do, and does not pass the EOG or EOC, and tell them that they are not good enough to proceed with their education?"

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

John,
I think it is true that sometimes people create these situations for themselves and do very little to improve their circumstances. They are satisfied with nothing and have no motivation to achieve. They have no goals in place. However, I do feel there are those examples where it's a case of bad luck or a life changing experience that causes a person to need welfare or other assistance.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:32 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]