View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Drug testing 
All-star
All-star

Drug Testing was an issue that we studied in school law. In the book, Barbara mentioned being drug tested prior to employed at Wal-MArt and other stores. In a side note she references that the 1999 report from American Civil Liberties Union (pg 128) discovered that the US government spents $11.7 million on drug tests to find 153 positive tests out of 29,00. I was wondering if people felt that drug tests are effective? Should we be subject to drug tests? She discusses the effects of a drug test lowering the morale, any truth?

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that drug testing is very effective, even though the numbers reported by the ACLU don't support it. I believe that if employees know that there is a possibilty to be randomly chosen for a drug test, then they are less likely engage in that sort of activity. I remember that we had several random drug testings in the military and I am glad we did. I did not want someone with a drug problem handling weapons or operating big equipment. I was wondering what you guys thought about random drug testing for students? Would it be effective?
I believe it would be and maybe would reduce drug use.

Does it reduce morale? I don't think so, school districts are accountable for its employees. Has anyone encountered a teacher with a drug problem? How was it addressed by the administration??
I had an eighth grade earth science who liked the bottle and took out his frustrations on the bad kids in class with the paddle. That didn't last long when the administration found out. He retired quickly after one incident.

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Tim, I agree with Chris. I think drug tests are effective. Yes, they have the numbers of how many tested positive, but it doesn't show how many did not show up for testing because they felt it may be positive.

I don't think morale is lowered - it seems to me that she was bothered because she may test positive. If someone isn't afraid of "being found out" then it's just another step in the process of getting a job.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always felt that drug testing of an employee who does something that might cause someone to reasonably believe there is a problem is OK. However, I do not believe in wide spread-everybody-should-be-tested drug testing because it does send a message that we are not professionals and that we can not be trusted. Drug testing as a "fishing" expedition is not appropriate. Pre-employment drug testing? Probably a necessary evil.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 pm
All-star
All-star

However, I do not believe in wide spread-everybody-should-be-tested drug testing because it does send a message that we are not professionals and that we can not be trusted. Drug testing as a "fishing" expedition is not appropriate. Pre-employment drug testing? Probably a necessary evil.

John,
But what about those people who turn down the wrong pack once they are in a profession are you willing to jeopardize the safety of your students and faculty just because the random drug tests seem like a fishing expedition?
I think they are a necessary tool in this day an age when people may not be putting off the signs they are under the influence but it only takes people to become complacent about their jobs or life to start using drugs and jeopardizing others in the process.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I was never insulted when I was asked to take a drug test in the military. People's lives are at stake. When that bus drivers decides to get high before getting on that bus one morning, the consequences may be grave.

If they know that they might be randomly tested, it sends a clear message.

I think that frequent K-9 checks are appropriate if they are done properly and do not interfere with the learning environment.
I am always happy to hear the dogs barking down the halls of Kings Mountain.

Before taking a job at KMHS, I taught at a school that was hesistant to use the dogs in fear that some of the football players may get into trouble. Cannot ruin those championship opportunities.

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Kami, I do not think the answer to providing safety for students is by having some kind of massive drug testing program. And yes, I think I would ere on the side of civil liberties as opposed to some kind of drug testing program that tries to fish for those who might be taking drugs.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Chris about the military, but not outside of it. I feel that a person should be willing to take a drug test only if the company can prove that there is a valid reason. It should not be random. Who am I to say what a person can in thier private life. If a person wants to smoke a joint on a Friday night, that is truly his or her business. Yet, if these actions affect the performance on the job, it has now shifted from a private matter to a public matter. In this situation, a company should reserve the right to perform a test.

Plus, we saw that Barb was able to beat the test by following a few suggestions off of the internet. How effective are drug tests?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I think if you work for a private company and they have not violated any civil liberties or labor laws, they should be able to have the authority to protect their ASSets. I also think if you work for a public company that involves the safety and welfare of the public good, they should have the authority to take reasonable action that has the best interest of those it serves in mind.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Three of my four children have played or are participating in J-V or Varsity sports; one of them is a college athlete. I cannot tell you of the times that they have shared that so-and-so was high or stoned during a game. They themselves have asked me why don't the schools random drug test? The truth of the matter is that drug testing doesn't usually stop most of the drug users. However, I believe that it would be a deterrent to the recreational experimental user. I have had students tell me of how their friends, parents, etc. fool drug tests successfully. They have even gone as far as to share the "recipe." I don't feel that I would want to try some of their concoctions.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:31 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]