View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Stress Management 
All-star
All-star

All of us know that there is stress involved in teaching on a daily basis and I don't think (from what I have seen) that it gets any better with administration.

On page 35 of Nickel and Dimed it mentions at the bottom that there has been this new trend of "management of stress" in which workers are being squeezed to extract maximun......
Unfortunately, I believe that this holds true for many occupations including education, where the bar of achievement gets higher and higher every year. Everyone is told that they need to improve.

Unfortunately, there are some educators out there that are slack and need this treatment.

Does anyone think that this new approach is really needed? This stress management puts a damper on teaching. Do you feel stressed? I know that some of you may be stressed with grad school, but have you experienced stress before deciding to enroll in this program?

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Chris the idea of "stressing a person to get the maximum amount of production" is fine for the short term, but long term it does not work. Think about these places where Barb works. The turnover rate is awful. You can't afford to run schools in this manner for large number of reasons we have discussed in our classes. In fact, a big part of the administrative-evaluation-to be is concerned with "teacher retention." This worker is expendable attitude has absolutely no place in a school or other educational setting.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Stressing to the max just to get more will cause creativity to be stymied. When creativity is stymied, joy is taken from the day yielding less productivity.

The best leaders I know, try to make the work fun and remarkably personable in some way.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:24 pm
All-star
All-star

We cannot let anxiety from standardized testing be a negative factor in our schools. Do we need to examine the data and listen to what it tells us? YES! Do we need to constantly put overt pressure on teachers to improve scores? NO! We have to be able to frame this data in the proper context to help our teachers to concentrate on good teaching which in turn always takes care of test scores.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:18 am
All-star
All-star

I don't believe stressing teachers is the answer to anything. However, I do think teachers who are not doing their jobs need to be made aware that they are not meeting the expectations we have of them. They sign a contract to do a job-teach children the state curriculum in such a way that enables them to become productive citizens. Think about the day you worked your hardest helping a child learn to read while the teacher next door showed a video that was keeping the kids entertained but teaching them nothing while the teacher filled in a March madness basketball grid for the pool. You both got paid the same that day. Does something need to be changed?

Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:54 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]