View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Bathroom Breaks 
All-star
All-star

When Barb was sharing how many times she got to take a bathroom break, I wondered about all those elementary teachers who have to wait until the end of the day to get a moment without children. How many of you also thought about what you are doing now to get ahead-working all day, studying or going to class until late at night every night. When do we spend time with our families? How much of a financial difference will this make in the long run? Is it worth it? Why do we do it? Are we ever guilty of Time Theft because we chat with a fellow worker? I just saw us as so like the low-wage workers, but on another pay level-same concerns.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Jackie, just look at the culture of the places where Barb works. What a miserable existence! I will always consider that an employee's family comes before his or her job. Perhaps we need to remember that we have people, not machines working for us.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, what about the bus drivers and cafeteria workers and janitors? Are they any better off than the people in Barbara's story. What about the students and their families?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Jackie, I would say only marginally better. These people are not paid for what their job is worth, but so it is in education.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think about you wrote everyday. It seems so silly that we say that we are working to benefit the ones we long, yet we leave them each day. I spend five days a week away from home and have to work on Sunday as well to pay for school. We always hear how the world is so small. One can be connect to a person in Japan in the matter of seconds, yet it seems the world grows larger for families as we strive to make money or gain an education.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree, and to do what... make more money so I can go shopping at Walmart and buy all the stuff that I really don't need???

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 am
All-star
All-star

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:12 pm
All-star
All-star

We have become a nation of highly qualified consumers. It make me think about Ishmael and the “Takersâ€

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you. However, I know why I am in graduate school. It is a challenge for me. It is something new and different that stimulates the mind. I take satisfaction in that, even though I may not make lots and lots of money. I'm not sure that working at Wal-Mart would not be mentally stimulating.

I would not trade jobs with anyone - even for a few more bathrooom breaks.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Jackie, When you mentioned “what about the students and their familiesâ€

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I had those same thougts countless times over the past 2 years of this program. I think it's sad that educators don't make enough money to hardly survive on their own. Not many careers, require a 4 yr degree and pay so low for so long.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:25 pm
All-star
All-star

It is indeed a shame when individuals who provide the education and training are paid less than the individuals receiving the education. But I agree with Amy, I would not trade jobs with anyone. I love what I do!

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]