View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Minimum Wage Increase Debate 
All-star
All-star

According to the article "Employment and the Minimum Wage," the most prominent argument against raising the minimum wage is that it will result in lost jobs. Historically, when the minimum wage was increased, "job growth in the industries most effected by the minimum wage has been robust."

The last paragraph of that article really stood out to me :shock: - "When it comes down to it, opponents of the minimum wage increase do not really care about the wages, jobs, or incomes of minimum wage workers. If they did, they would be lobbying to increase the earned income tax credit and getting the federal government to drop the interest rate. But that is not their motive. They are campaigning to protect those employers who pay the lowest wages and who do not want to be held acountable for generating poverty."

How true that is!! If the statistical studies show that minimum wage increase actually increases job opportunities and the affected industries, only someone who wanted to preserve self-interests would oppose the increase!!!

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Lisa, I think you describe the entire motivation of those who fight minimum wage increases. They are only looking after their own pocketbooks. There's that selfishness factor again.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. I only see the good in raising minuim wage. I think that businesses will always work against the commoner laborer. If the wage goes up, they reaise prices, so they just can't win.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Opponents use the same old worn out argument evertime this debate comes up. Its pathetic and I hope the American people don't stand for it!

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm with all three of you. I can somewhat see what the opponents of minimum wage increase argue, but I am much more in agreement with raising it and I'm glad Congress and the General Assembly finally decided to do something about it after no change in nearly ten years. There is something terribly wrong when, in the richest country in the world, a full-time worker can still be forced to live in poverty by low wages.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Lisa is correct about lobbying and campaigning. I bet the same people that are against raising minimum wage are those that are against the capital gains tax. I still hear about the Bush tax cuts and one of the major additions to this tax break is the elimination of capital gains tax. People on minimum wage will never have to worry about paying capital gains tax. Only individuals selling a house for more then 250K or married couples selling for more then 500K pay capital gains and that is only on the amount exceeding the first 250K or 500K. I do not know any minimum wage worker with a half a million dollar home.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Nickel and Dimed has raised an awareness for those with so little. I went to Wash. DC and stayed at a motel for three nights. On the second day, sitting in the hallway outside the elevator, were two tiny children barely out of diapers staying right where they were put while grandmother cleaned the bathroom to one of the units.

The students tried to talk to the little ones, but they would not respond. I had my Espaniol students with me and asked one to try to speak to the little ones. The little ones spoke Spanish.

Thoughts of identity touched me and I knew someone was working under difficult conditions to make a way of life better for their children.

I don't have time to raise minimum wage. I do have time to take care of those that cross my path even for a little while. How often do we remember to tip those who serve us? It's a challenge not to be judgemental, but to be generous. Isn't it part of our role to improve the world where we are?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:54 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]