View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ishmael as the conscience 
All-star
All-star

As I read Ishmael, I realized that he could symbolize man's conscience telling us that we are destroying our world and even though we realize it, we are not willing to stop living the way we do so that we do no harm to others. He never really told the student he was teaching the answers, but he guided him to them by asking the right questions. Something a few of us might learn to do.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Sometimes when I observe a WOW lesson, the teacher is "Ishmaelian" in that they are not giving the answers; they are just asking questions in order to lead. Somewhere on the TPAI, I believe under Instructional Feedback, there is a portion called sustaining feedback. The really great teacher can implement sustaining feedback throughout the lesson and deliberately make the students owners of their education.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:05 pm
All-star
All-star

As a teacher, I could relate to Ishmael when he told the student, "You've become a passive listener here, turning your brain off when you sit down and turning it on when you get up to leave" (p. 212). I often felt as if my students turned off their brains for the 90 minutes I had them in class. It's frustrating! In spite of feeling this way, Ishmael would find a way to intrigue the mind and lead the student to the answer instead of giving in and saying here it is.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Teaching through self discovery is the best way to teach but it is also very slow. Look how long it took to teach the lesson in the book. In the era of EOG, EOC, Writing Test, VOCATS, and all forms of testing it seems impossible to teacher to a higher level of Bloom’s Taxonomy.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:55 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]