View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham 
All-star
All-star

I was thinking about our conversation the other night...It is amazing that we all feel so strongly about our own personal views that we want to make the world think the same way that we do. I may have been a little too defensive when Dr. Turner suggested that I was "Calvinist". But, yet whether I am viewed by the world as a Calvinist, Preacher's Kid, Learning Disabled, whatever...doesn't matter as much as the fact that I am continually reflecting on and challenging my own beliefs. When I was a child, I thought and acted like a child....I will continually grow, learn and either strengthen or totally rethink my present beliefs in the future. The human mind is not and should not be stagnant, yet we as a society view it that way when thinking of others. Sam changed his mind through the experience of green eggs and ham. Sam I'm not...but maybe Sam I am.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:17 pm
All-star
All-star

For a society born out of a love for free thought, we certainly want everyone to be on the same side of all issues. I felt that way when you were talking in class. Everyone wanted you to agree with them. Like you were not on of the group. We are making the world black and white instead of all of the beautiful shades of gray that make life interesting.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Tim I think most people have an innate tendency to view things from their "one and only right way" perspective. I think that has led to some of the most henious periods in human history that I probably don't have to list on thgis board. We are all better human beings if we challenge ourselves to believe that someone else could have something as good as we have. I think your metaphor about black and white and graying colors was right on target.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:12 pm
All-star
All-star

We had a discussion in a small group a few class meetings ago, and it was mentioned that the two things one should never talk about at work was religion and politics. My question is: Why? I think it's because we've taken "respecting the opinions of others" to the point that we hardly ever mention contradictory opinions anymore. I'll admit that I am as guilty as others, but I'm wondering what happened to the freedom of speech guaranteed us in the Bill of Rights? Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to disagree with the opinions of others without disrespecting them as people (or their opinions). I think it was Voltaire who said "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Would he be happy with our lack of national dialogue rising from the disrespect for other people's opinions that exists in our country today?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Neil and Logan both are talking about the power of language and how we really do not exercise it. We allow others to shape our beliefs and opinions and we really stop questioning ideas and beliefs after a while. I enjoy a debate but I know many people that can quickly become offended when someone does not believe the way they do.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Why? I think it's because we've taken "respecting the opinions of others" to the point that we hardly ever mention contradictory opinions anymore. I'll admit that I am as guilty as others, but I'm wondering what happened to the freedom of speech guaranteed us in the Bill of Rights? Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to disagree with the opinions of others without disrespecting them as people (or their opinions).

Logan I wonder this as well, I know in education they don't want you expressing your personal views for the fears you may ultimately sway a child to your "view" but as an adult in everyday society I think we should feel comfortable voicing our opinions and not pressured to conform to someone else's viewpoint. And it is even better if we can remain open to another's view (the icing on the cake idea) but I know life isn't always going to be the ideal.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Hitler and so many others have wanted things their way. I'm thankful for the conversation and openness. As stated earlier, this great land of our was founded on love and freedom, but how quickly did things change. I only hope as we continue our journey down the path of enlightenment, we touch the minds of others and provide them with the opportunities to see every color of the rainbow. Acceptance and tolerance of the thoughts of others is what we need make the world a better place. I hope we all continue to grow while helping others to achieve their dreams. Be who you are and the best you can be!!! Stay away from My Way or No Way.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]