View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Set Up to Fail 
All-star
All-star

I've read the first few chapters of the Poisonwood Bible and it seems to me that the Price family is set uo to fail. One of the daughters recalls being shocked by the nakedness of the natives and then her father rants about in his first prayer comparing it to Sodom and Gommorah . How could anyone expect to succeed in this setting with a complete lack of understanding of the native culture? I have a feeling this story may have some tragic twists.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Neil, keep reading. Not all of the Price family has on blinders, for some the blinders come off slowly, and for Tata Price the blinders never come off.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:53 pm
All-star
All-star

Even though some of the characters don't have blinders, they are still influenced by the stories they have been told! Watch Leah.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:52 pm
All-star
All-star

We can see how what we say can influence children for a long time.

Neil, I think I am only as far as you and all I keep wondering why is our culture so much better than theirs? It seems that we want to change them to act more like us. Seems that we are slowly trying to make the world one big city of people of the same ideals instead of a wonderful place of diversity.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:44 am
All-star
All-star

It's our American "ego" Tim, we always seem to think that we are the superior and we do know best, and I use the word "we" losely....We do an excellent job most of the time at building our student's self esteem, that they can do anything, just sometimes we forget to throw in that character ed., focusing on doing things correctly. This goes back to Lisa's thread about changing the culture of a school.... doing it in a timely manner.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:00 am
All-star
All-star

Neil, I felt the same way. I also agree with Tim, what a dull life to live if we all have to live the same way. My first thought on this book "another Tarzan taming the uncivilized Africans".

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]