View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Don Imus 
All-star
All-star

American Double standards rears its ugly head once again. Some African Americans are in an uproar over comments made by Don Imus during his recent radio show. I agree, the comments were degrading and he should be dealt with accordingly. He apologized to the female basketball team of Rutgers University, but is that enough. what about the comments used by rappers in the music world? Should they lose their jobs? Is it okay for Snoop Dog but not for Imus? Is it okay for rappers because millions of dollars are generate each year by degrading and humiliating women. Should Don Imus be fired because he forgot the unspoken rule? Are there educators who engage in using these rules in the present of others like themselves? Should they be fired or should they attend some form of cultural diversity training? The leaders of our nation should stop allowing the all mighty dollar to set the standards for what will and will not be accepted. They need to take a stand to erase the unwritten rules. Let's start with the rule of using derogatory words. Rule number one - Derogatory words are not to be used as terms of endearment.

I believe Dr. King and others who gave their lives to create a society where all men/women are treated equally would be appalled if they heard the "n" word used towards another human being. I believe they would want Don Imus and Snoop Dog to use their skills to congratulate and build up the human race, instead of tearing it down.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:50 am
All-star
All-star

What really bothers me about Imus' comments was the fact that a face was put with his comments. He directed them towards the innocent. I believe the rappers language is much more dangerous because no face is ofent put with their words, just a faceless victim that could be anybody's mother, sister, or daughter. At least the Lady Knights will be able to defend themselves and their dignity unlike the faceless victims in a rap song who simply become prey to the infested minds of such a large segment of our population......

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:10 am
All-star
All-star

I hear students at school singing songs and it amazes me at the ease they use the language in the songs. They have heard it so much that it no longer seems offense or degrading to them. This language slowly becomes incorporated into their vocabulary and they use it without a second thought of the damage they can do to others.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 am
All-star
All-star

Don't these people think before they utter anything? Don Imus has been on the radio for years and you would think that he knew better. Sad to see that he took his ignorance out on a fine group of lady athletes. I agree with Billy that there is a double standard. Some of the people who are campaigning for Imus's firing are people who have also slipped up in their public speech. Shame on you, Imus

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:25 pm
All-star
All-star

People like Imus have such huge egos that they believe nothing can touch them. When people reach this point their demise is never very far away. Nathan Price found this out the hard way.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

The saddest part in all of this is not that Imus said this, but he thought it; therefore, he felt it. Saying he's sorry for a comment does not change what he feels. It is too bad that humankind (what an oxymoron) will not believe in the value of people for the sake of their humanity rather than their skin color or their money or their ability. As Adah said(page 533)"Illusions mistaken for truth are the pavement under our feet." Some people have lived their lives believing these illusions of differences in people and they know no other way to walk except in darkness and lies.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

As an American I believe in freedom of speech...as a woman and a mother, I am appalled by the degrading remarks. Imus can say whatever he wants...he's an American, however, if MSNBC continues to allow him to be affiliated with them, it would cause me to doubt the integrity of the company. Howard Stern is now on his own in cyberspace through sattlelite due to his indignant remarks. Perhaps Imus should keep him company.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

This has been over the news the past several days, and I've caught myself wondering the same questions. Why are some allowed to use such language and others are not. Its a double standard. Billy raised a great point, how can we teach that some can say such things and others can not. Its about time that we all use language that is degrading towards no one, and not allow certain people to get by with it b/c they don't mean it in that way.,

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Your freedom of speech stops when it places people back in bondage. I am in no way saying that we cannot have differing opinions; however, how far should we be allowed to go with our words. The Bible says in the Book of James Chapter 3 that the tongue is like a consuming fire. We can bridle every animal on the face of the earth; however, the tongue (one of the smallest members on our bodies) is the hardest for us to bridle. What is to come of this? I think it opened our eyes to that fact that racism, prejudice, and ingnorance still abide in 2007. People no longer wear their white hoods...the wear ties and suits, they speak in Standard English, they teach our kids, they run our Churches, they coach our little league teams, they patch up your cuts. Open our eyes world; History always repeats itself...what a great forum for our classrooms. Tell your students to listen and be heard.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:17 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]