View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 U.S. spy powers 
All-star
All-star

Billy talked earlier about Liberty and Justice for all. I have been reading lately about the clarification to Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. This Act and the Patriot Act go hand in hand. Slowly our freedoms have been eroded and no much is ever said. I would like to now the real underlining reason for the expansion of powers by the federal government. Rarely do they pass a bill without some personal agenda. I highly doubt they have the best interest of the American people in mind.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am
All-star
All-star

I guess that the average American citizen must keep informed of all legislation that passes through Congress and President. I bet that the avg citizen doesn't know what the Patriot Act is all about and why President Bush is so insistent in reauthorization. How many parents & educators know the specifics about NCLB?

Are you willing to give up more of your freedoms in order to be safer in a post 911 world? What do you think is the hidden agenda for this act?

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter
than our progress in education." -JFK

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I worry that the average american has little interest in proposed bills or reauthorization of bills. Its hard to get people to vote, much less pay attention to new legislation. I'm afraid people just don't pay attention unless its something that will effect them immediately, and then its still hard to catch their attention.
As for Bush and the current fed. govnt , I figure there must be more to the story.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:38 pm
All-star
All-star

The difficult part of the equation, unfortunately, is that most people believe our government is a democracy. It's not; it's a republic. The people don't make the decisions, but rather they choose the people who make the decisions. While it is the best form of government in existence, the obvious flaw is that most citizens rarely participate other than to vote for their representatives every two years. Most of us do not realize that the best way to participate, other than casting their votes, is to write their Congresspeople and Senators and express their opinions. If enough of us did, some of them would certainly have to change their tactics or face losing their next elections.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]