View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Why Johnny Can't Disobey 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This article made me think about how in our schools and in our society we put so much stress on going along with the norm. It's no wonder that kids don't know how to "disobey" when they are taught all their lives that there is a standard that they must meet or else they will be considered inadequate. For example, a child who is writing an essay would most likely sway their opinion according to what they think their teacher will consider an "A" instead of expressing their own opinion. I agree with this article when I say that I think that somewhere along the way we have lost our own opinions in favor of what will please those around us.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what you said, I am a very opinionated person but sometimes I have to suppress those opinions. In one class my freshmen year, my first paper I wrote I expressed my true feelings and made a C, the rest of the classes made A's and B's. When I approached my professor he stated that he didn't agree with the terms of what I had written. From that paper on I didn't speak up in class and I wrote what he wanted to hear...I made an A the rest of the way through. Sometimes I think adults get on "power trips" and neglect the fact that children/students need the diversity of opinions to truly benefit from experiences.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what you said about students being taught to always obey. Kids are going to be kids, and it is normal for them to act out at times. Kids are taught so much to obey all the time, and I feel that they lose a sense of themselves because of this. They learn that if they disobey, that makes the "bad," so they're scared to express themselves.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you girls. I have had the same experiences where, when given an assignment or free write, I would just write what I thought the teacher wanted to hear or what would get me a good grade. We really aren't allowed to disobey or stray from the norm in many circumtances. I think that it is important to "think outside the box." That doesn't mean go around hitting people or stealing things, but to think broader and be more creating. I have had the opportunities in classroom settings to practice just this. For instance, when assigned projects or presentations, I have asked the teachers to be allowed to do different projects or present the topics in a different format, such as a game or a show. This is what is important in the classroom, giving kids their own voice and form of expression while still ensuring the receive a quality education.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree also that we do have to follow the norm in school as well as everyday life. People are not allowed to really show freedom of expression in most cases. Usually you are doing want you know the teachers wants so you can get a good grade, I mean after all that is the point. It just takes away from students creative minds sometimes. Which I do not agree with. I think as long as the student has meet the requirements, then they should be able to do whatever they want to achieve the task.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:26 pm

I agree wholly that schools do not allow children to express their creativity, or share their opinions or views. I was a student who consistently had something to say, or wished that I truly say what I wanted in papers or on assignments. I truly did feel that my creativity was stifled in many of my classes. Instead of simply doing what the teacher asked, or required, I used some of that creative energy to “pushâ€

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]