View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Comments on "Allegory of the Cave" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This article was quite the profound and deep article. There were many metaphors that needed to be deciphered to get the true meaning out of it. I found that this article really emphasized the fact that, as educators it is our job to foster and facilitate a great passion for learning in each child. The article says that "the power and capacity of learning exists in the soul already". To me, this says that each student has the ability to learn, but it is the educator's job to bring out their own personal love of learning. Each student will learn differently and have a different passion. I feel this article is suggesting that as teachers it is important that we try to cater to their different learning styles and passions so that they will learn to the best of their own ability. What do you think?

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with your response to the passage. I too feel that Plato was expressing that every person has the ability to learn. It is our duty as teachers to "descend" into the cave to gain an understanding of where are students stand. Like the article said, when we go into the darkness of the cave from the light, we have a better perception of the shadows. I think this means that when we as teachers go into the cave, we can relate to the students, in that we see what they see, and thus have a knowledge of what they know. When we relate to the students in this way, we can better educate them to bring them out of the darkness because, like you mentioned, we will be able to cater to their different learning styles and interests. Ultimately, what I am saying is that we as teachers must be willing to get on the level of our students, so that we can understand their point of view, and effectively bring them into the "light."

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you both. I think the article can definitely be implied to mean that all student’s have the abilities to learn. We as teachers just have to enhance their abilities and help them to utilize them. I think that while all students aren’t on the same level academically (according to measurements and tests), they all have the abilities to learn and understand information and concepts in some way. And this is where we have to adapt to fit their needs like Tiffany said. I also agree with Victoria’s comment that we have to “ascendâ€

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]