View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Obedience/Disobedience 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So this is probably going to strike a nerve with a person or two! I realize that we watched the Vietnam video dealing with obedience because these men made the statements "I was ordered to" or "I was told to", however I do not feel that this video gave an accurate, fair, or compassionate view to the armed forces. I feel this is especially important due to the increasing number of protests against military in general, and particularly the war in Iraq.

Do you feel that the military (in today's times) could have been used to represent obedience?

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the last quote the man gave was the only one that applies to the situation, when he said "That is was, killin in all sorts of ways. You dont know what you will do untill you are there." We can all stand back and point fingers at the military, but its because of them that we have the right to do that. We should never forget this. I think our military is very srtongly focused on obedience, but I also think that in many situations this obedience is required to carry out the tasks they must do. Don't you think that is would be easier to kill to defend your country if you were under the notion that it is not your fault, you were just told to. I think it would help me sleep at night.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do agree with you, however, I think many people will relate that video to today's military, which is misconstrued in itself. The difference in military today is that these people CHOOSE to join the military, knowing that they are going to have to obey orders. Think of how many people joined after 9/11 and still joining to support our country. While it is more "comfortable" knowing that you are not responsible for any deaths you also join today KNOWING you will go to Iraq. I just want people to realize that the representation that the video presented isn't exactly accurate for today!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:09 am
All-star
All-star

I agree Nikki. I think that we look at our military today and judge what happened on Vietnam based on that. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to have been drafted to fight in a war I may or may not have agreed with, been trained to obey, and then give the orders: "Kill everyone", and if you don't, a) be shot on the spot or b) be court martialled. I think that the video is a prime example of blind obedience and it's effects, but I also know that we are looking at it from TODAY'S perspective and applying the standards of today to it.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think these are some important points, and certainly the point that volunteer forces are much more likely to think for themselves has a lot of merit. However, one cannot ignore the torturing of prisoners that happened at Abu Ghirab (9http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4977986) are a modern example of people claiming to "do what they were told". I am not saying that the entirety of the military harbors torturers or people who want only to follow a violent system, but merely to bring up the fact that incidents like the massacre at My Lai do happen, but perhaps on more secretive or smaller scales. My point is that no matter what day and age it is, people are always willing to follow orders because its easy. When they are told they will not be held responsible, the action then becomes that much easier.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]