View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 People Like Us 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After watching the second half of the movie today, I realized how ironic it is that we seem to be struggling to fight the very stigmas that we have placed upon ourselves and others. I noticed that the "middle class" people did not seem to be happy where they were, yet they criticized others who were not in their class. I think the same situation can apply to many of the other groups. If we didn't place these stigmas on ourselves in the first place, it would be much easier for people like the woman who works at Burger King to rise above her struggles and go to college like she has always aspired to do. I believe that one of the things that is holding her back is the fact that she does not truly believe that she will ever be able to reach her goal. When she spoke about her father and the history of her family, and when she criticized her son for having greater aspirations, she seemed to be reaffirming to herself that she will never be able to rise above her status. I think that this woman, like many others in America, has confined herself to being a certain way because she doesn't believe that she could ever be any different.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with you. It seems people of the lower class hate when higher classes criticize them for being lower class, but then the lower class can't vision themselves moving up to a higher class because they seem to think that they are stuck and thats just the way it is. We as teachers must encourage all students from all backgrounds. Students from a lower class need to hear that they can better themselves by working hard and furthering their education because they may not hear that at home.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that many people in the lower class do feel stuck in their situation. But I think that many of them feel that way because that is way they've been told that things are. They are led to believe, through social stigmas, that they can never rise out of the lower class even though it does happen. I think that as Taylor and Robert have said that it is important as teachers to be optimistic and encouraging to our students making sure that they understand that it is possible to move in society with hard work and some luck. I also agree with Taylor that not stereotyping people according to their job or income would help but I hate to say that feels a lot like wishful thinking.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Candace, I definitely see what you are saying about not stereotyping people being wishful thinking. I feel like as much as we would like to sit here and say that we would like to stop doing that, some stereotypes would still find their way into our daily lives. Stereotyping has become so ingrained in our culture that I wonder how we can ever break down the barriers we can created for ourselves and other people. I guess the best thing we can do is just to be conscious of the way we think and how we treat others and hopefully we can help our future students try to break down their own stereotypes and barriers as well.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think you're right Taylor when you say that we just to make sure that we are aware of the judgements that we make. That is probably the only way to get around those stereotypes that have been ingrained in us. Hopefully after doing so, and realizing what we have done, we can step back, assess the situation and do what is best for the student.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought about the very same thing when we watched the part of the video with Tammy and her family. She made a comment saying it was not her fault she was poor, she grew up poor, her family was poor, etc. I wondered if that was really true. Sure, it is a lot harder for some people to find a decent job and support their families, but are we not all capable of doing it somehow? I understand that circumstances are different for everyone, but look at her son, Matt. He has grown up poor, but he has set high goals for himself and wants to escape the poverty in which he is living. I believe that he will be able to accomplish his goals and be successful if he works hard, is determined, and stays focused on his goals.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely respected Tammy and what she did for her family everyday. Sometimes life gets in the way of our goals and dreams, so it is not fair to say that she is to blame for being poor. Poverty is not something that is easily risen above. If it was, we wouldn't have the problems that we have with poverty in America. Tammy worked harder for her family than almost any mother I've ever seen. She walked 10 miles to work everyday no matter what. She didn't have to work, as she said, she could have received welfare and sat on the couch, but she choose not to. I think she was supporting her family, perhaps not up to the standards that some are used to, but she was an amazing mother. I hope that Matt learns some lessons from his mother, namely that of hard work and determination. I believe that one day Matt will escape poverty and I hope that one day Tammy is also able to escape and achieve her dream of being a teacher.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Abby I agree. I think that before we jump to criticize Tammy, we really need to look at what she does for her family. I mean, a ten mile hike to work every day can't be taken lightly. She isn't walking five blocks to work on a sidewalk in a city; she's walking on the side of the road out through the country. It seems as if she's the only source of income, so she doesn't have the luxury of quitting her job to look for a better one. Plus, she doesn't have a car to get her to that new job if it's further away.

I know that Matt criticizes her because he has to help with cooking and housework. That's the criticism of every teenager I've ever know who has to help around the house. I don't think that when Tammy "puts Matt in his place," she is trying to tell him that he can't make a better life for himself. I think she's doing what most mothers would do by not letting him be disrespectful to his family because to be honest, most of what I heard him do was bash his family.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I might have been misunderstood with my comment. I want to clarify that I do not think Tammy is not supporting her family the best she can or that she is not working very hard. Of course walking 10 miles to work everyday in the rain is very difficult and it shows that she is dedicated to her family and job. Maybe a better way to word what I was trying to say before is do you think it is possible for Tammy to pull herself out of poverty and if so, what could she do to achieve that?

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember part of a quote from the movie that I really liked. There was a lady in the movie who said that America is the land of opportunity and the American Dream is all about "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps But you have to have boots first." I think that this is a great explanation of what Tammy and Matt are going though. I think the best thing that Tammy has done for her family is that she has provided her sons with "boots". Matt truly believes that he can rise above his current living status by his own hard work and determination. I think this is something that his mother and other caretakers (perhaps teachers) instilled in him. Tammy, born to a father with 22(?) children, may still be trying to acquire boots for herself, which may explain her struggle to reach her dreams. But I think it is incredibly admirable that she has created an environment for her boys where they can feel that they have the opportunity to become better.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maria, I completely agree with your statement. I feel that is why Matt feels he can rise above because his mother supplied the "boots" for him to do so. Not only did she supply, but she is a role model in doing so. He doesn't now, but when he gets older, will understand his mother's situation better. She is doing all that she can do to provide for her family. He should be grateful and respect his mother for doing so...which he probably will later in life. Hopefully he will realize that she provided him with "boots" instead of taking the "boots" for herself and neglecting her children. I can not imagine what it would be like to walk 10 miles to work everyday. I have so much respect for the mother. I can not say with 100% certainty that I would walk instead of taking welfare; and I am one who has worked and continues to work since the day I turned 16. I wonder how that family is doing now?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]