View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Guestworker 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to the movie The Guestworker in IG Greer. I thought the documentary was very interesting and I learned so much about the H2A program. I also thought that it really humanized the subject for me because it followed the life of one worker Don Cande as he worked on a farm in NC. The director Charles Thompson said that it was his goal to capture things as they happened which really helped to give perspective to what the farmers were feeling while they were experiencing their working period that could last anywhere from 6 to 9 months away from their family. I thought it was interesting that these workers were so willing to make sacrifices to come to the US and work just to be able to send money home to their families when they are working jobs that most Americans would refuse to work. It really helped me admire these men for the choices that they make to come do the hard labor they do in the US.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with your response to The Guestworker. I had never really gave much consideration to the migrant workers in the US. The documentary really opened my eyes to a workforce that I knew very little about. I too admire these men for coming to work in the US. They come here with a hope and a vision to make more money to provide for their families. These men are willing to do the work that most Americans will not do. In a way, it made me feel ashamed that Americans are so opposed to hard, physical labor that we have to recruit workers from Mexico.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just want to comment on how much I learned from watching that documentary. I had very little information about the fact that we were recruiting foreigners to come work for us temporarily. I was amazed at the fact that those workers go into debt just to make the trip here to work. They do not make that much money, however they are making more than what they would be making if they stayed. I was so impressed with these workers' dedication to their families to come to a country and do hard labor and not enjoy any of the benefits an American would enjoy if he or she was the one out in the fields. I agree, I thought this film was great.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]