View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 low class stereotypes 
All-star
All-star

I was a little put off by the video yesterday in class because I felt that the narrator of the video put all lower income, or "lower class" white people into a redneck, trailer trash stereotype. It was discouraging to me to see that the video seemed to imply that the lower classes were less intelligent with fewer manners and opportunities. While I know that in some cases this is true, I also know that this is simply a stereotype. I just felt that the video didn't completely represent each class; it only represented the stereotypes of that class. Did anyone else feel this way, or was it just me?

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Whitney, I do feel that the video was a bit prejudice towards people living in the lower class. I felt that the narrator was poking fun at people who live in the South because typically southerners are less intelligent. I grew up around people like those at the Redneck Games and I do not feel that some of them, not all, are any less intelligent than people of the upper class. It is also a matter of what type of things people know and how we deem that knowledge as useful or not. For people living in the South, knowing how to do one thing could be considered completely necessary whereas in other areas it would be completely useless. It all depends on the culture and where you grew up as to what kinds of knowledge you acquire.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not all people who are in the lower class play in mud...not all kids who play in the mud are in the lower class...I played in the mud. I grew up on a farm, getting dirty, playing in the mud, and riding 4-wheelers but my dad is very successful.
Also many of these "rednecks" may not have PROPER manners but they are the nicest people you will meet and put others before themselves. This is not something you typically find in the upper class....

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This was the point I was trying to make in class that got skewed by Dr. Turner, the movie only showed the most typical stereotypes of each class. They only showed the people they needed to show in order for their view to be seen. In fact I think that the people behind this video overlooked many aspects of each group, some good and some bad. I did not like the movie at all.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that the movie showed the range of disparity that it did to emphasize the widening social gap in America. Yes, everyday we are most likely to be surrounded by people that are more near the average, but this video wanted to show the full range. I don't agree with each opinionated view point from every status shown, but at some point you may run in to an impressionable student that has one of the extreme viewpoints because they picked it up at home.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]