View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A Question of Class 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I was reading the article "A Question of Class" it led me to start thinking of my family. My father and mother both grew up in South Carolina. My mothers family was securely in the middle class with 2 college educated parents and a father who was raised by his wealthy aunt and uncle. My father on the other hand grew up not far from the author of the article in SC and was born shortly after the author. His family was in the working class with 2 parents who worked in a mill. Though I know these facts I have never thought to ask my father about his childhood in too much detail. When discussing the people in FL after the author moves from SC she says, " the people we met there had not been shaped by the rigid class structure that dominated the South Carolina Piedmont". Reading this, it made me want to ask my father what he felt about this statement. I wonder if he felt the class structure that the author mentioned or if perhaps he somehow escaped it.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This article also made the think about the affects of class and social structure on people. Although I have not specifically asked my parents those questions either, I do know that these separations and classes have played a part in their lives. Just from hearing stories of their childhoods and from their opinions and outlooks, I can tell that they have been affected. I think this is true of all classes. Everyone is brought up with different views and perspectives of the other classes that tend to effect how you live and view things.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm
All-star
All-star

My mother grow up in a low class family. I have talked to her about when she was growing up. She said it wasnt easy and I can tell it is hard for her to talk about it sometimes. But I also think the way she grew up basically having nothing is why she is the woman she is today. She has struggled throughout life and has overcame obstacles. So Abby did you ever ask your dad is my question?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Both of my parents grew up in low class families and were the first to graduate from college. They constantly remind me about their struggles growing up and how they had to work extremely hard to get to where they are today. Because of their background they have become strong and very hard working. My parents taught me through their experiences and it has definitely made me appreciate the life they have helpd me achieve.

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My dad also came from a working class family- his dad worked in a steel mill all his life and worked two additional jobs to make ends meet. I agree with Chase and Shannon when I say that a lot of my dad's determination came from watching his father struggle financially. My dad paid his own way through college so that he would have a better chance at life, even though he was offered a job at the steel mill where my grandpa worked. I feel like my dad appreciates his comfortable lifestyle a lot more than people who were "born" into it because he didn't always live that way.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Both of my parents were raised in rural Wilkes county. My Dad's family at the time of his raising was on the line between middle and low class. He said they had what they needed to live and nothing else. He had a full time job from the time he was 14 and in high school would go to school until 11am then go to work from 12 until 8pm. He did all this and still graduated with honors. He went to community collage but did not graduate, but has worked his way up from the bottom in a factory and now has a very well paying job. This struggle makes him stingy and wants all of his kids to work for what they get just like he did, and I think that is great.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]