View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Video: Inner City Debate Team 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I felt that the video on the inner city debate team was very inspirational. The students that were part of this team originally had a variety of problems, including being ready to drop out of school, involvement in drugs and gangs, problems with family life, and such. My favorite part of that video was seeing the boy who was in Special Education overcome his disability and graduate from his reading level within two years of being involved with the debate team. Being involved in an activity such as this sparked student's interest and allowed them to have their time to shine and research topics they found interesting. The most impressive part of the video was that all twelve of the students graduated from high school, and nine planned to attend college. This video shows the profound, life-altering effect that a teacher can have on their students, if they are ready and willing to put in the time and effort. Students thrive when their teachers believe in them, and this video inspired me even more so as a future teacher.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also found the video to be very inspirational. As a special education major, I was amazed by the progress made by the student with disabilities. It just goes to show that hard work, constant incouragement and stimulating educational activities, like debate, can produce amazing results with students that might have otherwise been left behind. The teacher, or in this case the police officer that lead the debate team, was a huge factor in the success or failure of his students. I do not think the bebate team in the movie would have been as successful without their coach. I believe the whole point of teaching is to motivate your students to achieve their goals of greatness by providing them with interesting educational opportunities.

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What I found most interesting about the debate team was that their coach wasn't even a teacher at their school. He was a police officer and someone the students could turn to if they had a problem. He was a volunteer and someone that devoted much of his free time to the debate team.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was glad to see that the debate helped these students that had no support at all. I do feel the factors of the drive by the students and the Police officer were major factors of why this achieved so much for them. Debate is a great way to get the students involved and this allows them to retain and understand the subject better than listening to a teacher talk. I truly want and believe i can challenge my students to higher level thinking and still have them past the EOGs but i am afraid that i will conform like the other teachers and teach to test. That is my biggest fear!

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you about enjoying that the debate helped these students. Even though the students had no support from home, they were encouraged by someone from the community, a police officer who wanted to help them and change the future for the better. I'm also scared I'll end up conforming to the whole "teach to the test" thing that many teachers fall into. However, I want to believe that I'll encourage and challenge my students to be all that they can be and to understand that I'm there for them.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ashley and Christina, I can definitely relate to your fears about "teaching to the test". It seems that many teachers do not want to, but they are forced to unless they want to lose their job. The video about the debate team gave me hope though, because even if I am forced to conform in some ways so that I can keep my job, I can still get students involved in extracurricular activities like the the debate team that will enhance their learning. And also, doing a debate in the classroom can be a great way to learn some of the main topics that are on the standardized tests. My point is that although teaching to the test may be what some administrators are pushing, but there are plenty of ways to get around that and teach so that students will be motivated and inspired by what they are learning while also doing well on their tests.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I also found the video inspirational. Like Chase I am a special education major as well so the part with the boy with a disability was really touching to me. I am glad that they put forth the effort to help him out and want him to succeed as well. I thought it was also great that the police officer took time out to do this with the kids. It really got the kids involved in school that normally may not have been.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]