View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Finding a Balance 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand that we should try to accept different accents and dialects, but where do we draw the line between acceptance and ignorance? I don't want my students to not know how to write a paper or use the correct grammar rules because I am paying too much attention to accepting all ways of writing and speaking. I want to be accepting of all the students in my class but I don't know how to do that while teaching grammar rules and Standard American English. I am just confused on how to find a balance between the two ways of teaching.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One solution to this would be to create assignments that use different dialects. Some papers could be written in SAE in order to prepare students for state testing and professional formats. Other papers, could be weighed more towards content, not correct SAE grammar. This would allow the students to focus more on their thoughts, not the grammar. The instructions on the use of a particular dialect should be included in the guidelines of the paper the students are writing. This could also be carried out for presentations or debates.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was having some issues with the same things. I think it is important that we embrace each other and our way of speaking. In this case I think a good way to go about it is to discuss the issue with students as a whole. While having a classroom discussion about social studies throw in the importance of our heritage (where accent and dialect most often come from). Showing our students how to respect each other and embrace the differences AND similarities that we share will help a great deal. I think that if we are up front with students, about why it is important to learn SAE and use it at certain times, will make them feel more comfortable code switching. If we are looking at a book report focus on the important aspects like if they included everything ie. plot, characters, setting... and not so much on dialect. However, when you assign a writing paper explain to the students that SAE must be used. When you make things like this clear to students it may make them feel more comfortable and show them that you embrace their culture.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with you Nikki. Dialects and accents are important parts of everyones heritage and should be embraced. Acceptance of different dialects and accents should be taught in schools from a young age, to help prevent later stereotyping and misunderstanding of different speech patterns and sounds. As you said, teachers must stress the importance of SAE when writing papers because that's what's used all over the US, no matter where you're from or how you speak.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with your opinion that it is necessary to find a balance in teaching your students how to write a good paper with SAE and also accept the various dialects of the students. While it crucial for students to know how to write a paper in SAE, it is also important to remember and accept the different dialects. I have no new ideas to offer; just teach your students that there is a time and place to use their own respective dialects, just as there is a proper time to use SAE. If you provide assignments that require them to write with SAE grammar, and then allow them to write a paper in their own dialect (as Audrey suggested), then I believe that you will be able to achieve that balance.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that teaching SAE is disrespecting other cultures and dialects. It's simply what needs to be taught in order for the student to be successful later in life. You can compare it to anything else that is taught across the board in schools; for instance like teaching the correct method of solving a subtraction equation, or the scientific process, or it's like teaching the 5 paragraph form of an essay. As much as that form sucks to write, it is what is required of students: an intro with a thesis at the end, 3 paragraphs of explanation with a topic sentence, and a conclusion that restates your thesis. This is a standard thing that students are taught and no matter where you're from or what culture you have (in the US), this is what is expected of you in order for you to get a good grade on an essay. SAE is the same thing, it’s a formula for success and if we want our students to do well, we should instill this skill in them.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess it really is going to take experience to truly understand how both SAE and culture acceptance can be taught together. I'm elementary ed so I'm worried about confusing my students too, but I'm sure that with time I'll be able to figure out a balance between the two. It just seems that the concept of a balance is a new way of thinking b/c I don't ever remember any of my teachers concentrating on anything but SAE. I remember some teachers coming down especially hard on African American students for writing and speaking in a way that wasn't SAE.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you, Taylor. When I was growing up, it was always unacceptable to formally speak or write in anything but SAE. I often used the words y'all and ain't when I was younger. I remember being corrected quite often by teachers. This idea of accepting and embracing different dialects is new to me, although I do think it is very important for teachers to do so.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a lot of where the line gets drawn has to do with the subject matter and the student. If the student has such a strong dialect that the teacher believes he/she will have significant trouble in the future, perhaps the teacher should sit down with the student and talk a little about working on a SAE dialect in order to get their point across more clearly. For my personal experience, I will be teaching theatre and will have to teach students SAE in order to become more neutral characters that they can then modify based on their character work, etc. For me, I think how much a teacher is obligated to introduce and refine SAE depends on how much a dialect interacts with the subject matter.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]