View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Testing 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class we just finished up the discussion about standardized testing and how it didn't represent that actual knowledge of the student. The reason I bring this up has to do with the Praxis testing. Last week I received an e-mail informing me that I will have to take Praxis II in order to graduate. I don't want to have to take it and feel that it will not adequately represent my knowledge. I was wondering what everyone else thought about having to take the Praxis test???

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am
All-star
All-star

I agree completely with you Stephen. I do not like taking the Praxis which can decide whether you can graduate or not. I took Praxis 1 last semester to get into the college of education. It took me several times to pass the test and I did not think it was fair cause I knew I was capable. I mean after all I graduated high school and was in my third year of college. I think it is just another way to get our money.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am really nervous about taking the Praxis II exam next fall. However, from the ones that I have talked with, the test is hard but everyone seems to pass it. The last I heard, you only had to take Praxis II to graduate, but not necessarily have to pass it. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what is the point in taking the test if it doesn't matter whether or not you pass it? I do not mind taking the test if the questions only ask basic content knowledge. If any questions ask us to "reflect" or "interpret," I will not be happy. Higher-ordered thinking questions which involve opinions and personal experiences to answer them should NOT have a multiple choice answer! On many standardized tests, especially in reading, these types of biased questions appear frequently. Sorry to go on a tangent, but for most of us, standardized testing is a hot button issue. In closing, I do not really want to take the Praxis; but, if that is what it takes to graduate...I'll do it.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not a fan of having to take the Praxis II but if it is required then i must. In response to Jake i was told the same thing but that does not make much sense to me. Why take the test when we do not even have to pass. Is this to alleviate stress on us? Yes when we are looking for jobs, being able to put on our resume that we have already taken and passed the Praxis II is going to place us higher than other teachers. However i stress too much as it is and when things like standardize test come along i freak.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that standardized tests make me nervous. Even if we don't have to pass the Praxis, just taking it makes me nervous. I hate taking tests like this, and I know I'll probably freak out right before I have to take it. I'll study and try to do my best, but when it comes down to it I'll be worried.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Appalachian requires all ed majors to take the Praxis II to graduate, but I think the Elementary and Special Ed majors have to pass. I think App makes us take it because we are required to pass before we can be licensed as teachers. It makes sense to take it while the material is still fresh, and although I feel like a written test doesn't make a fair assessment of our teaching ability, if I have to take it, I would rather do it here at App while the material is still fresh.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:31 am
All-star
All-star

Every education major is required to take the Praxis II, but not everyone has to pass it. I am pretty sure that secondary ed majors do not have to pass it, but elem. ed majors do have to pass it. It is something along those lines. I can see why they want us to take it now because the material is fresh on our minds and passing the Praxis II will allow you to get your full license after 3 years of teaching. It does suck that we have to pay a lot of money just to get re-examined after we already finished 4 years of post-secondary education, but it is just another hoop you have to jump through just to be considered highly qualified.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that Praxis II is basically methods questions...you will be presented with a scenario and asked the best method to solve or teach it. App supposedly has a 98% passing rate on the first try. What I am interested in knowing is those teachers who are going to be ESL or Spanish Ed...wouldn't it make more sense to give them the test in Spanish?

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]