View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Sticky Situation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Let's layout the scenario before the problem. I am in Block 1 doing my practicum at an elementary school in another county. Yesterday being Halloween, the K-2 children were allowed to dress up and parade through the 3-5 classrooms and "Trick-or-Treat". We had princesses, batman, a ninja, a vampire and much more. Yesterday was filled with excitement and only being my 2nd day at the school I just listen and do what I am told...I can't oppose much obviously because this is part of my grade.

Scenario
While the children were walking back from lunch the halls were obviously crowed with teachers and students. A certain teacher was posed outside their classroom watching all the children walk by and he/she made the comment (out loud so all children and staff could hear) "WOW a Hispanic vampire...that fits well" WHAT!?! I kept walking with my class and no one really seemed to hear the comment other than myself...
While on our parade through one of the older classrooms a teacher turned to another and said "I've never seen an African American cowboy" the other teacher (who is a student teacher in my class) simply responded "One of the best bull riders right now is Black".

PROBLEM
While these teachers were using "Hispanic" instead of Mexican or "African American" instead of Black...they were throwing these comments around like nothing. My issue is that I had to stand there and pretend like nothing was wrong, because I am simply an ASU intern.

Question
Do you think these staff members were out of line? If so, How would you have handled this situation?

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow! I can not believe that that happened!!! I think that even though they didn't say black or mexican it was still a very racist remark! Imagine if that child was led to believe that he could not be a cowboy because he was the wrong color!
I agree with you that it being your second day there there wasnt much that you could say or do. I know that I would feel so out of place correcting a teacher that I did not even know. I dont know what I would have done in your situation!

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WOW! Nikki, this is a tough call. The teachers were completely out of line. Even if you make these observances, you DO NOT say them aloud; especially where other students can hear you. I can't believe that they would say such...especially when these are K-2 KIDS innocently dressing up for Halloween!!!

As to how I would have handled the situation, I don't know. I probably would have walked on as you did. Like you said, you're only an intern and you have a lot on the line. I would talk with the other student intern to hear his or her thoughts. While doing nothing is bothersome, you have to make sure to blend in...until tenure anyway! If the teacher that made these comments was young, I would consider approaching him or her about the comments. Young teachers would probably handle criticism better because they are used to being criticized. Older teachers may not take your concern very well because you are "young and inexperienced." This is purely my reasoning and could certainly be wrong. Plus, every teacher is different thus will react differently. It's a gamble.

The good thing is, YOU noticed that these comments were inappropriate and YOU yourself will not say things like this. Differences are easy to notice and point out; but we, as teachers, should make a conscious effort to look past COLORS and notice only STUDENTS in our classroom.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I am also floored by those comments. I mean honestly who are we to judge what a child wants to be for Halloween based on race. That just shows of shallow minded and ignorant people are in our society. That would be a hard call to make as to what you should have done in that situation. I mean honestly you are just an intern and really what can you say. Now if you were a teacher at that school how differently do you think you would have reacted? I mean I do not know even then what you could say you know. I agree with what Jake said also that is it good that you realized that those teachers were in the wrong and you would not have acted that way yourself. But that is crazy that people really do say stuff like that.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am in complete shock. It's so sad that these teachers were racist against little children, but what is even more disturbing, is that they said those comments as if it was the most normal thing in the world to say. If anyone should have an open mind about children and different races and cultures, it should be teachers. I agree with the others. There wasn't much you could do in such a situation. I would have done the same thing. If you were an actual teacher there, I think it would have been appropriate to say something to the teachers, but not as an intern.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope these kids did not hear the comments because even though it was a cowboy and a vampire we as teachers and as people are suppose to inform kids that they can grow up to be anything they want to be. I agree with Nikki G. that even though they are using the politically correct term they are still abusing the race! I would have to say that i would hope i would stand up in a situation like that but with the lack of authority i might not have the courage to. I know in this class we are learning that we must stand up for what is right and give every kid the same love and treatment no matter what. But for me it will take a lot of practice before i will know exactly what to do in situations like this.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's really interesting how people think its okay to make racist remarks using "politically correct" language. It's like they feel less bad by making a generalization about a demographic now "properly categorized". I'd definitely say they were out of line in bringing attention to the race of the kids as if a black kid shouldn't be a cowboy or a hispanic kid shouldn't be a vampire. In terms of handling the situation, to be quite honest, I probably would have to just take it. Maybe talk with the kids later that I think that they make a great cowboy or vampire. Quite frankly, I wouldn't feel like it was my place to say anything to the teachers because of the fact that grades are at stake. It probably sounds shallow, but its true.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 am
All-star
All-star

I think it's sad that teachers, who are supposed to support all children, make comments...in front of children...that could be potential scarring remarks. I know that when I was that age, the opinion of my teacher mattered to me quite a bit, and I know that if I had overheard my teacher making a comment like that...even if he or she was using "pc" terms, it would have really hurt.

As far as doing something about it, I would report it to my direct supervisor (whoever your teacher at ASU is) so that maybe your professor can let the principal know that comments were overheard. I know that coming from a college professor who sends resources (interns) into schools, principals would probably take action so that ASU will continue to place students at that school.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would like to say I would have acted totally different if I was a teacher, but this would only be the case if I had been in that school for awhile and not "the new teacher". I would def. had said something though if I had been there a little while. I have learned to distance myself from these teachers and stay in "my" classroom just because I don't want to hear anything else like this.

It really hurt me that we are the people who are supposed to discourage this type of behavior yet these teachers are using it....

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:38 pm

I would like to high five the teacher that said something to the one with the “African-American Cowboyâ€

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]