View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Westboro Baptist 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering what makes a Church in Kansas think that they need to get involved in something that is happening in Nevada? I mean if it was a church in the same town then I could understand because it would be their kids and their community. Kansas isn't even anywhere near Navada!

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know what you mean Nikki. Even still why are they calling themselves a church and protesting such things as this when the bible tells us that hate is wrong. I know this isn't a religious discussion but if the church is going to throw around God's name and hate in the same sentence I think they need to re-evaluate their purpose. This is also the same church whose family is admitting their purpose...

"Shirley Phelps-Roper admitted to Louis Theroux in his BBC documentary, The Most Hated Family in America," the goal of the church's protests isn't to win souls to Christ. Rather, the goal is to warn people that their reunion with the loved ones whose deaths they mourn will take place in Hell."

Found at:
http://media.wildcat.arizona.edu/media/ ... 1335.shtml

And No matter how much you HATE war this should never be said...

"They report that a U.S. Army helicopter - UH-60 Black Hawk
- crashed in northern Italy on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2007, killing
5 of the I I service members aboard. We hope the other 6
members also die"

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/fl ... -crash.pdf

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The whole idea of being involved outside of your immediate area isn't something new. The US has been doing so for years around the world. When you believe in something you seek out the opposition where ever it might be and attempt to counter it. If there were two school districts that had opposing views on how to implement teaching styles in the classroom there's no doubt that the one would approach the other if they felt strongly about their method and had some kind of foundation to back them up. No, schools wouldn't protest each other or go to extremes, but anything that threatens what someone else thinks will be challenged.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't even see how this thing calls itself a church. The bible says it is not our place to judge, it is God's. I think they are just a bunch of narrow minded people. I know that I am not being fair to their point of view, but this is because thay are backing their view with a document that they are taking out of context and instead of using it to help people like it was intended for, they are using it as a weaon of physiological distruction. Everyone should go to their website and look it over before saying anything about them, they are a very complex group with some very off the wall views. I think that you should always reasearch the people who think differently from you. christans should read Darwin and vice versa. I think this church is just trying to make the news, there is absoultely no evidence to support their claims.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this group could better be classified as a sect or a cult due to their outrageous claims and actions. But if you want to learn more check out the full version of the BBC report by Louis Theroux that Nikki mentioned. It lasts about an hour but trust me, you will be so shocked by the things you see that you will end up watching the whole the thing before you even realize; I know because I did this last spring.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6858417528

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I think this church is crazy and they are the reason why Christians get bad names. I do not see how they could even call themselves a church either. When I see stuff like that it makes me ashamed to be a Baptist and be associated with people like that. No wonder people do not want to be Christians now a days with trash like that.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also do not understand the point of spreading hatred like the people of Westboro Baptist Church. I have yet to fully look at their website, but what I have seen so far has been appalling. What makes me so upset is that there seems to be no reasoning behind their intense hatred for others. I think that when encountering people like this, our first instinct is to develop a hatred for them as well, but it is more effective for us to try to teach others to not act in the same way as the people of Westboro Baptist Church.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wanted to point out that this same church group wrote a letter to the church I attend in Durham. I don't remember exactly, but I think Durham School of the Arts was doing the same play. The reason for the letter the Westboro baptist Church wrote was to tell the church in Durham that it was going to protest in the front of the Durham Church for letting the play happen in the Durham area. It made the congregation very upset and weeks in advance before the supposed protest we were told to ignore the protestors and how to handle them if they approached us. When the time came for the protestors to come they never showed. I personally think that they never planned on coming, but thought that by sending letters to churches around the area that they may protest in front of churches that it may stop the play from happening.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]