View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Socialization and Discrimination 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the article that talks about Matthew Shepard there are a few lines I have found interesting. In some of the social sciences I have taken there has been a focus on nature vs nurture in how a child's formative years are shaped. Some say that biological factors weigh more while others say that socialization is more important. Back to the article, it references Sesame Street and the phrase we have all come to know, "one of these things in not like the other." I understand the useful nature in being able to discern differences in things at a young age, but does it stop there. I don't know or can't remember if I thought about the Sesame Street phrase on the playground in elementary school when I picked out friends. Is there a chance though that impressionable children latently use discerning skills as discriminatory practices? Does something always have to be different? I don't like to think of Sesame Street as a root to problems, but I hope you get where I'm going. Are people born with a "discrimination gene" or is there such a focus on kids being different (which seems like a negative connotation) as opposed to them being individuals (which seems more positive)?

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Chris, I totally see where you are going with this. I agree that by all means Sesame Street is not to blame for discrimination problems. I believe it is a total nurture issue. I don't believe children are born with a gene that naturally makes them discriminatory. When children are growing up, I think they are searching for something to relate or connect with. Most parents or media influence the children more than the children influence themselves.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't feel like a children's show, such as Sesame Street would be the sole cause, or even a major cause, of a child discriminating against other children. I feel like discrimination (or tolerance) is something that is learned in the home. If your parents are kind and accepting of others, as a small child, chances are, you will be too. I vividly remember that the students who were the meanest to others in my elementary school were the ones whose parents seemed to be (from an elementary school student's perspective) as well.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

By no means am I trying to say that a television show is the only or a major cause of some greater problem. My point is that the socialization that a child receives at a young age is critical and will help initiate the formation of their own views. Some critics do attempt to argue that there are some people out there that are predisposed to act a certain way and carry specific values. It is to them that I say nay. Any source of input (not genes) to a child no matter how insignificant it seems will affect, either positively or negatively, the views that child will hold.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that, in most cases, parents are going to be the most influential impacts on a child's life. But I also see where Chris is going with Sesame Street reference. Except I thought of it in a different way because, from what I remember, when I watched shows like Sesame Street and Barney I remember seeing children of all races represented and they were playing and interacting with one another. For me, I feel this was a positive model because it showed me that you can be friends with people that are different from you. So these types of shows had a different impact on me. But I do feel that my parents and teachers, or real life models were the largest influences on who I decided to call my friends and who I decided to play with on the playground.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a show like Sesame Street would not want to promote discrimination, but tolerance. I think the "one is not like the other" thing from the show should show kids that there are differences among us, but that we should embrace those differences and not have prejudices.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe discrimination is a trait that is accuired through nurture during a child's developmental stages. If a child's parents are racist, then most likely their child will have the same ideals instilled in them, ecspecially if many of the people the child interacts with and encounters believe the same thing. Parents, guardians, and teachers as well as the environment around a child, shapes them during the developmental years.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Candace, I had the same experience with television shows such as Sesame Street and Barney. I remember being exposed to different races and cultures, which I think, made me more accepting and tolerant of people that were different than me. I think the media can influence children to discriminate against others, but like others mentioned, I think a child's family has much more of an influence.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Melanie in saying that family has a greater influence on our students than the media, but I believe that a community can have the greatest influence. What I'm saying is that when multiple families that make up a community have the same values, that can influence children greatly. Not only are children hearing ideas from their immediate family, but the families of friends and other relatives. I believe us as teachers need to be aware of the community that we work in and be up to date on what that community's values are.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:51 pm

I agree with what is being said about the fact that the family and community usually have a bigger impact on a child than the media, but I would like to pose the question of what about the children with an absence of family or community interaction? Are these children more or less willing to learn their values from what little “familyâ€

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is silly to even say that a show such as Sesme Street has anything to do with people not liking others because of their differences. It is taught all through elementary school to pick out differences.
I think that we automaticly want to spend our time with people that we can relate to. And the best way to relate to people is to find things that they have in common. Its just the way we are as humans to want to hang out with people like us.
This does lead to us not spending time with people different than us but is this intentional and hurtful?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I am wondering what you mean when there is no family and community interaction? I feel like very child is exposed in some way to adults, and even if these adults don't explicitly tell these children to be tolerant or discriminatory, the children will pick up on the more subtle forms of discrimination and tolerance...just as they would in an active home environment.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]