View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hermaphrodites in other cultures 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought our discussion of intersex individuals was very interesting. It is also interesting to be that hermaphrodites in other cultures are not always feared and forced to chose a gender. In India, hermaphrodites are known as Hijra, which is a third sex. This third sex covers more than just intersex people. It also takes in eunuchs and transsexual individuals. I think it is kind of cool that in India that people are less boxed on what their sex must be. Many people think that sex is a cut and dry issue, however like most issues, it isn't.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Abby, I agree. It is quite interesting. I sometimes wonder benefits or losses a society receives for categorizing sex in a binary or multiple-optioned plan. What baffles me the most is just how unrecognized these issues are. I kind of want to know where the root of Western sexual identification started. I'm sure Christianity played a role in some of it, but I don't know.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I once saw a movie about a hermaphrodite on Lifetime. Im not sure whether is was based on a true story or not but I assume it is because a lot of Lifetime movies are. I cannot remember the name but it shows the hard life this person lead because of her uncertain sexuality. It def made me think about how we treat others so horribly because we are afraid of their differences.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Until our classroom discussion, I was unaware that there was such a thing/person as a hermaphrodite. I thought it was a myth or at least extremely rare that it didn't really pertain to anyone. Our class discussion caused me to reevaluate my views on gender. I am really glad that we have the opportunity to have classes that discuss such taboo subjects like hermaphrodites, homosexuals, race, social class, and stereotypes. The rest of the world is not talking about these things and what people do hear is not usually fact, but instead is hear-say that has been blown out of proportion or completely made up. I also think it is a good thing when people challenge their own (and others') beliefs; this makes them stronger. When I have my values challenged, I must either defend them or change them and that is progress.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, also, had never heard of a hermaphrodite until our class discussion. The discussion was very eye-opening for me. Abby, that is really interesting that in India hermaphrodites are viewed as a third sex. It amazes me how accepting of different people other cultures are, much unlike the US.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I had just recently learned a lot on hermaphrodites from another class. So all the stuff in class wasn't all completely new to me. I found the class discussion very interesting and I definitely learned more then I already knew. Which is always a good thing. Being educated about stuff that you do not know a lot about makes you less judgmental sometimes about the situations that go on through out our lives. I agree with Melanie it amazes me as well of how accepting other cultures our compared to the United States.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]