View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Classroom Decor 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay I have to admit, I am obviously the bad person in class...

It caught me off guard when Dr. Turner was appalled by the 10 little Indians wall decor. I understand now what she was talking about but HONESTLY how many of you guys would have thought something bad about it?

If you had walked into your child's classroom and saw 10 little white boys wearing golf outfits or 10 little white girls carrying their books to school, how would you have reacted? Would this bother you?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally would have never thought this was bad either. After thinking about it I understand too but I know that if I walked in a class and saw 10 little farmers or 10 little rednecks I would have laughed but never been offended. I know that Native Americans have been through more throughout history than southerners but still.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm glad someone feels the same as I, at least I know I am not alone. I actually think I have seen some farmers or something in the schools... always white. This has never been an issue that was brought to someone's attention by an African American family....

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know if I would have been offended seeing ten little white boys on the wall as opposed to the ten little indians considering there is a counting song about "ten little indians". I think that the sheer fact that the school was condoning the singing of that song by putting it into visual art form says a lot. It might have taken me a while after I really stopped and thought about it but I would say that I would probably have been offended as well.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To tell the truth it would not hae evn crossed my mind. This type of thing heppens so often that I really don't pay attention. I need to but at out habbit I don't. I do however think we should be more aware of this kind of thing.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:43 pm
All-star
All-star

It would not have crossed my mind either just because I am so use to seeing that. It's like it is just the norm. I think that if you do sit back and think about it it does seem bad though. But like most I wouldnt have thought twice about it.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like others have mentioned, I don't think I would have thought anything bad about seeing such classroom decorations. I'm very glad we had this short discussion in class because now I hope I will notice such things.

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to admit, the thing that would have bothered me the most about the decorations if I were the teacher would have been if Dr. Turner went to the principal first instead of approaching me about it. I think that in our society we are used to certain stereotypes that can be hurtful to others, and I agree that we need to combat them, but if I were the classroom teacher I would have preferred that Dr. Turner approached me first. After hearing what she had to say I would have taken them down immediately and I probably would have been pretty disapointed in myself that I didn't notice how offensive they were. I don't remember exactly how Dr. Turner approached the situation, but as a future teacher I would hope that my students' parents would feel that they could come to me first about issues like this.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]