View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 American Jihad 

In another thread, there is a discussion about a popular American children’s TV show. I would just like to bring attention to the fact that a character in this particular show has appeared on a collage supporting Osama Bin Laden. Several news agencies (Associated Press, Reuters, and the Dutch news agency ANP) have reported that this picture is legitimate, and has not been doctored in any way. While I have never felt that this show has done anything but been a good influence on the youth of our nation, this nevertheless shakes my faith in what I though to be the infallible images of childhood innocence. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blosamabert.htm

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

...or is Sesame Street the root of all evil. Children's characters being used in concurrence with violent images send a very strong message.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am just astounded that someone could bring a popular children's television character into a collage with an enemy of America. What message is that sending to our youth? The characters on Sesame Street bring a wealth of knowledge to our children through entertainment and methods of fun learning. It definitely sends the wrong message to children by comparing them to extremely dangerous individuals. And you're right Corey. Comparing these two just takes away the innocence completely. It's amazing.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I honestly don't feel like this is a picture produced and/or/ sponsored by Sesame Street. Even with the support of the war in Iraq dwindling almost to none, many Americans still HATE Osama bin Laden, and I feel like it would be political suicide for the show and the network to produce and support this picture.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This picture is in no way produced or sponsored by Sesame Street. Like Cory said, it was used in a collage that was displayed during a rally or protest. The message being conveyed is one that sends a dark message by misrepresentation. Pro radical Islamic demonstrators seem to use the image of an American childhood icon to gain support for their cause among their children. Other countries mainly dislike our foreign policy and other political relations, but they don't mind or dislike some aspects of our pop culture. I would say that they're trying to use an icon that has become universally popular to promote their violence. The point is that people are preying on the young using images that were meant to be innocent.

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:44 pm
Site Admin

It's political humor. Can you find what is funny here? That would be a good exercise...

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]