View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Banning T-shirts 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We briefly mentioned in class on Tuesday a time when one of our classmates experienced a situation in her high school where anti-homosexual t-shirts were allowed to be worn by the students. I couldn't believe that the administration would allow this type of free speech in a school. I remember at my high school we had a big controversy about students wearing shirts bearing the Dixie/Confederate flag. In the end, we were not allowed to wear anything that had any sort of Dixie flag on it. I never thought that the flag should be seen as offensive to anyone, instead as a symbol of the rich history of southern culture. But I understood that some people were offended even if I personally was not, so I could respect the decision of the administration to ban these items. I cannot believe that a school would ban shirts with the Confederate flag, and simply take no action about shirts with messages of hate towards homosexuals. That was appalling to me. What did ya'll think??

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Maria. It is very interesting to hear that a school would, in a sense, support that type of free speech. I say "in a sense" because they did nothing to stop those individuals from wearing the t-shirts. I feel that the school should be looking out for the betterment of the entire student population and should categorize those types of shirts as inappropriate for school. I feel the same way that a lot of people have said they feel. It is important to have one's own opinions but that opinion does not always NEED to be expressed. There are people, and will be people, who have different styles than you do. It is especially important for us, as teachers, to quiet our opinions if it be for the sake of one of our students.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maria, I agree. I find it hard to believe that nothing was done to stop the students from wearing the anti-homosexual tshirts. The administration in my high school payed very close attention to the apparel we wore. They were very strict about not allowing tshirts with messages that included racism, sex, drugs, alcohol, or hate of any kind.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At my high school, shirts with Confederate flags were banned because the people who wore them did not intend for them to show the rich history of the south, they were ment for hate. I do find it very strange that anit-homosexual shirts would not have been banned. I think this goes back to the bible belt mindset of most of Northe carolina. I am a Christan and as a Christan I do not belive it is right to judge other people and to hate other people. It is one thing to disagree whit someones life style, but it is not our place to judge them. If I had been the Principal at this school, the shirts would have been out.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you guys. I think those shirts should have been banned. No matter what your religious affiliation, I think that hatred and judgement, like Adam said, are wrong and that they definitely shouldn't be tolerated in a school setting, where people have the ability and responsibility to promote tolerance and understanding. However, I also think that the shirts that started the whole controversy should be banned as well. I can't recall exactly what the other shirts said, but it seems to me that if they caused such a reaction, then they shouldn't be allowed either. Maybe the school thought they would have to ban both shirts and maybe that's why they didn't take action. Although, that's not the best approach to the situation or what I would have done personally.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I as Adam and probably many other people had the confederate flag shirts banned. At my high school they actually banned even plain colored t-shirts saying it could mean they were in a gang as well as people having their pants on there hips and things of that nature. I do not understand why they would not stop someone from wearing a anti-homosexual t-shirt. Things just don't make sense sometimes in our world.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:35 pm

I agree that it is strange that this school chose to allow these shirts that essentially promoted discrimination and hate. This strikes me odd, because at my school, shirts with the confederate flag were allowed, but shirts with alcohol or tobacco companies on them were not. My school was very much a rural school, as the agriculture program was one of the largest departments in the school (complete with barn, goats, chickens, pigs, a greenhouse…etc). I feel that schools need to be careful about what they allow, and what they do not, but I think this case is a little extreme. While in the case of the confederate flag, it could be argued that some are expressing their heritage. But with the anti-homosexual shirts it is clearly a message of hate, and I believe that has no place in our schools

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]