View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Free Speech in schools 

Do you feel that your Rights were upheld in your school?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
We had Rights in school?!?!? 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7

Free Speech in schools 

I find that the typical public school setting is NOT a place where free speech is tolerated to its uncomfortable extremes. School is seen as a place of nurturing, and many feel that it is a place where the students must be “protectedâ€

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Cory, that in most public schools students aren't allowed free speech. I understand the other side that administrators are trying to convey by limiting students but that's just ignoring the issue. I feel that by high school, students should be allowed to express themselves and use free speech just like the real world. Ignoring these issues is doing our students a dis-service by telling them that it's alright to just ignore what people are saying. I also understand that it can be easier to keep order during the school day if students cannot express everything that they're thinking, however I have to side with our civil liberties.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both of you. Free speech is seldom allowed in the typical public school. I also think that until you are an adult, your rights, such as free speech, are often suppressed because of society. I do not think this is fair at all. Everyone, no matter what age or grade, should be able to express how they feel and say what they want. If a child's free speech is suppressed while in school, they might possibly be reluctant to express how they feel once they get out into the "real world".

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think maybe my school was an anomaly, but I felt like, aside from hate speech, free speech was encouraged in our school.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like my school was pretty good at trying to uphold our rights as individuals, but of course we had school rules which we had to follow. I think that it is important to allow children to exercise their rights to free speech because it is a great learning opportunity. To have a child get up and express how they feel about something without a fellow student or teacher shutting them up. Just like what Melanie said, it teaches them to have a voice and an opinion in the "real world"

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]