View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Special Education in the General Ed. Classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a special ed. major, I think every student in the college of ed. should be required to take at least one introductory course to special education. Many general ed. majors, that I have talked to, think they will never have to teach students with disabilitites. Maybe in an extremely odd case, this could be true but with new and expanding mainstreaming laws like pl-142, students with disabilities will be and are being placed in the least restrictive environment; which is usually a general ed. classroom. I just wanted to know if this is a concern to anyone because I feel an introductory course to special ed. would benefit all teachers no matter what their specific concentration.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:50 pm

I agree with you that this kind of class would be beneficial to all teachers. My CI 2800 class was actually a SPE 2800 section, and I feel that this was a good choice, because I feel I learned more than I would if I had just taken the regular CI 2800 course. There was not a great deal of difference, but it was enough for me to say that the difference was worthwhile.

I had a cousin who was an English education major, and in her second year of teaching she was placed into a mainstreaming classroom, and was only told this 3 weeks before the school year started. She had no experience with special education, and this was a big challenge for her. I think that a introductory special education course would be a beneficial thing even if you never end up in a classroom with special education students.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:13 pm
All-star
All-star

As a special education major myself I agree with Chase completely. It is very important for general education teachers to know about different disabilities. They will be working with those special needs students in some way or another. I think a lot of the reason why general education teacher treat students with special needs the way they do is because they do not know a lot about the different disabilities out there. It is very important and the college of Education needs to make it a requirement for everyone.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think that every education major should be required to take at least one special education course. Every education major will teach students with disabilities at one time or another. At this point in my education, I feel as if I have no qualifications to teach children with special needs. I wish I had the opportunity to take a class that prepares me for teaching and addressing the needs of children with special needs.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with you. I believe every teacher will have at least one child with some kind of disability in their teaching career, and they should know how to help that child learn the best they can. I know I do not feel prepared to teach a child with disabilities myself and would love to be able to take some kind of intro course for special ed.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is an extremely important subject that all teachers should be educated on. Knowing the different signs of disabilities present within your classroom will greatly help when dealing with classroom management issues. Also, being sympathetic to the fact that a child may have a disability will greatly improve progress with that child more than not knowing anything about it at all. I, too, have taken the special ed. version of CI 2800 but I still feel as if I need more information. I agree with you all. It is very important to know the details of any special ed. student within your classroom.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a part of my internship this semester with my CI 3100 class we were required to spend at least 5 hours with a Special Education class. This was one of the best experiences I had during my internship. In High School I was a teachers aid to the Special Education teacher so I had been exposed to it before but for some of the other students it was their first time experiencing a Special Education class room. Is this a part of other peoples internship?
Also I would be for requiring an introductory class into Special Education. As the other people have talked about, we are going to have them in our classrooms, so if we have at least some knowledge we will be better prepared to teach them and make sure everyone in the class gets the material.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have thought about it before but now, after this discussion, I'm a little scared for myself and everyone else who has no training with special ed. I saw a video in my CI2800 class ( I can't remember the name of the little boy or the name of the movie ) but the teacher was so great with the child who had special needs. Even the other students would help. I want to be able to help these children too. Maybe we should try to get that changed in Appalachians requirements for general education.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]