View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Banned Club 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was in high school, a student wanted to start a gay and lesbian association, and the principal was strongly opposed to it. He did everything he could to keep the club from forming, mainly to please the conservative parents from the school. The principal eventually lost the battle and the club was allowed to form. I want to know what you as a teacher would do if you had a principal that reacted to a situation like this?

Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that if it was my student who was trying to start up a club and the principal would not approve, I would help the student come up with a reasonable argument to propose to the principal explaining why he/she thinks it is necessary. I would try and do whatever I could to show the principal that the club could be beneficial if I felt it was a worthy cause. I feel that as a teacher it is important to show your students that you are supportive of them. Doing this will greatly enhance students' trust in you and further suggest you are doing your job in being a great role model for the kids. By striving to make a difference, you are showing the students they can do the same.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personaly do not think homosexuality is right, but if a student whants to start a club, my belifes have noting to do with it. Those students have the same right to a club as the FCA, so I personaly would support their right to form a club.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The draw back to not helping the students is that you are showing them the biases of the world. If we want to implement all we have learned through our classes here then we need to stay open minded and support their ideas. I personally would not join the club if I was a student, but as Adam said, they have a right to their club as much as FCA or FFA does.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I had a principal strongly opposed to the organization, I would first try to find out why he thinks the club should not be formed. If I wanted to be the club sponsor I would let the students know what qualms the principal had with the organization. If he/she had real, legitimate concerns then those could possibly be met and somehow agreed upon, but if the principal simply just doesn't want controversy, then there may be more difficulty. If the students were really passionate about the club, there are always ways to make some sort of organization. In all likelihood I would help sponsor the struggling club just because I believe that students who are trying for any kind of positive organization should be supported.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If a principle is opposed to the idea of having a homosexual club in the schools I think it would be really hard to stand up to him has a little teacher. Just like what we talked about a while back in class. What if the teacher didn't want you to use a handout that you were coping in the copy room. And you really wanted to use it. He could just fire you if you used it. Same situation here, he could just fire you if you went to his office and opposed his views and said that you would sponsor the club. I think it would be important to call a meeting with all the faculty and address this. I would sponsor the club and do my best to get it started. Of course my job would be at risk, but maybe it would call awareness to the subject and change future decisions in that school or/and in other schools.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to be honest here and say that i might not stand up to the principle. I would support the student if they came to me but if i am not involved in the first place i so not think i would get involved. Just as Maja said if the principal is so strong about not having one i dont think i would step in his path. Sorry if this offends people but i do not have the confidence yet to stand up to the principal. This is something that i want to achieve and i know i will when i have practice at it.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]