View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 A Home on the Field 
All-star
All-star

Reading this book caused me to think about how my thoughts of immigrants, legal or illegal, have changed from my early high school days to this point in my life right now. What I realized is when I was younger I didn’t know enough to have a solid opinion, but I just listened to the thoughts of the people around me. I viewed illegal immigrants as a problem. I never viewed life from their eyes and I never took the chance to try and put myself in their shoes. I didn’t care to think about what situations they were leaving. All I saw was people sneaking into our country and putting a strain on the tax payers’ pockets. Now, I have taking the chance to see why they want to be here and realized if I was in their situation I would try anything to cross the border too. Thankfully, my opinion has changed from my younger years and I feel that I have grown into an understanding person who will see a situation in life from many different perspectives.

I would like to know how people from your areas of the state viewed immigration and if your own personal opinions.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from Davidson, which is north of Charlotte, and although I love my town there have been many instances where I have been ashamed about the way immigrants have been treated. My neighborhood is not a very diverse neighborhood and I remember that when we were building our house a man said to my dad that he hoped that we wouldn't hire "a bunch of Mexicans" to build it. He said that they would come in and "just stare at all the women in the neighborhood." I find it ironic that people have this mentality but yet they don't think twice about all the products that they buy that are made with the help of immigrants. Needless to say, that man made us wish that we could build our house somewhere else. In Charlotte and the surrounding areas immigration is a fact of life and I wish that more people would stop stereotyping them and actually try to help out or get to know them.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both of your posts. Having said that I would like to be critical of people that have that attitude but to be honest I can remember having those thoughts sometimes too. It comes from being ignorant of the world around us. I grew up in a small town with quiet a few immigrants. We were agriculturally based so they worked in the fields. A lot of the people around there still have the mentality that immigrants are ruining America, even though it could be argued that they are America's backbone. What a lot of people don't realize is that the US government invited the Mexican immigrants here in the early 1900's to work the fields of the Midwest. We were at War and all the men had went off to fight for America. The crops that had been planted were laying in the fields because there was no one to harvest the crops. So where were all these people that dislike immigrants then? Why didn't they go out and work the fields?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from Lexington, which is in the central part of the state. Lexington has had quite a few immigrants come into the area. The people in my area have some of the same opinions as Taylor mentioned. I know that many people I know are not fond of all the illegal immigrants in the country. I must admit that I myself, am not overly fond of all the illegal immigrants who come here. However, after reading A Home on the Field, I understand why they are coming. I just wish that they could get here legally. In order for that to happen though, I know that some rules about immigration must be changed. Nevertheless, whether immigrants come here illegally or legally, I am trying to be more understanding to the circumstances they come from and remember the reasons they choose America.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]